Zombie Moderator - and no way to kick

We reuse a room for regular meetings. Somehow there is an instance of my account still in the room which has moderator status as the only person in the room - so it is unchallangeable there and cannot be kicked.

How to do that? (of course I have root access to the server)

Welcome to the forum.

You can restart services (prosody, in particular), to get rid of it for now. You’ll still need to figure out why it happened though.

@Freddie: Can you explain this further?
I´ve got the same problem, but I don’t know how you can restart service and what does “prosody” mean?
Maybe my English is not good enough…

Welcome to the forum.

Prosody is an xmpp server. To restart it, run the following command:

sudo systemctl restart prosody

1 Like

In a default secure domain setup, you should be able to enter the room and then authenticate in the profile tab of the settings to gain moderator status. As a moderator you should be able to then kick the zombie.

Hii

Thanks for sharing this information. I’ll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. Looking for the same info.

official website

Doing a restart is how I have been solving issues like this, however not knowing that I only needed to restart prosody, I was restarting more services as well.

systemctl restart {prosody,jicofo,jitsi-videobridge2}

Which prosody are you using?

For anyone interested, these are the versions which I am using. Installed in February 2021.

dpkg -l | grep jitsi
ii jitsi-meet 2.0.5390-3 all WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii jitsi-meet-prosody 1.0.4628-1 all Prosody configuration for Jitsi Meet
ii jitsi-meet-web 1.0.4628-1 all WebRTC JavaScript video conferences
ii jitsi-meet-web-config 1.0.4628-1 all Configuration for web serving of Jitsi Meet
ii jitsi-videobridge2 2.1-416-g2f43d1b4-1 all WebRTC compatible Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU)

No, you’re looking for this Prosody:

dpkg -s prosody | grep Version

Thanks Freddie,

That certainly makes a difference.

dpkg -s prosody | grep Version

Version: 0.11.2-

Why are these two different, prosody version vs jitsi-meet-prosody version ?

Until someone explains, I will guess the jitsi-meet-prosody version the jitsi server’s “client side” prosody which talks to the actual prosody server (service) ?

(I have learned something today, jitsi-meet-prosody is not the actual prosody. Please let me know these two components are, that is how do you describe these in term of function? )

Jitsi-meet-prosody configures prosody for jitsi-meet and adds some prosody modules for jitsi-meet.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.