Worse connection on laptop vs Android, CPU usage, help

Hi, I’ve been using Jitsi Meet for years with variable success. Now that I need it more than ever, I’m finally trying to optimize.

I have a Thinkpad T450s with these specs

Operating System: KDE neon 5.18 (Ubuntu based Linux)
Kernel Version: 5.3.0-42-lowlatency
Processors: 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz
Memory: 11.6 GiB of RAM

Not the newest machine, but not crazy old. I generally use Chromium with Jitsi. It uses around 30% of my CPU constantly, and the system can feel a bit overloaded. I’m using the built-in webcam.

Problem: I get connection quality issues regularly where video often shows in slow-motion and gets extremely behind the audio. Sometimes it is okay for a little bit, but it’s quite frustrating. Sometimes reconnecting helps but not reliably and not staying fixed. It can be off by multiple seconds, not at all subtle, total mismatch with audio and video.

I switched to the Android app on my Google Pixel with Lineage OS, and it just worked. It uses a good amount of the CPU I guess (phone gets hot, needs power source or runs out of battery), but the problems with video just aren’t there. The connection is stable, the communication solid.

So, it’s not my wifi or network (that’s the same on both devices). Do I just need a better computer, perhaps one with better graphics card? Anything else I can do? I really want this working smoothly on my laptop.