Why is Zoom able to have 500+ paricipants but Jitsi less than 100? Technically

Is it browser limitation or is it server limitation that Zoom is able to have more than 500 participants whereas Jitisi less than 100.

What is tech difference between Zoom and Jitsi and fundamentally how it works?

In simplified terms: Zoom mixes the videostreams from all participants on their server and then sends a single stream back to each user.
In contrast, Jitsi sends to each user the video streams that have been requested (usually one large, high-res pic for the speaker and several low-res for thumbnails of attendees). In more technical terms, the jitsi-videobridge acts as a Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU) and the burden of compositing all the single streams lies on the client-side.

Indeed, in our small scale setup we noticed that most problems arise on the clients, e.g. low upload bandwidth or lack or performance. Thats why it helps so much to achieve a good conference experience if just a few video thumbnails of the last speakers are displayed in the conference view.

Have you ever tried using zoom in the browser? I hear its a rather bad experience in comparison to using their client software. So thats another technical difference.

Since you are posting in the “Install & Config” section of this forum: have you ever tried to install a Zoom server? I guess not…

To your questions: Why don’t you look for yourself?

I would like to recommend the following descriptions:

Especially recommended:

1. An iOS or Android Client of Jitsi without Browser should perform better going by your statement that there is a client software? Am I right when I say this?
  2. If the above is true then https://desktop.jitsi.org/Main/Download
    the above clients if used can do what Zoom does?
  3. Are you saying that Zoom is able to transcode in server and distribute at speeds which Jitsi can’t?

No and no. The statement regarding client software is just a side note to the main technical difference of MFU vs. SFU. A specialized client is not bound to adhering to standards like WebRTC and so on and can use various techniques to optimize user experience and performance. Nevertheless, a Jitsi client will still need to perform the potentially performance heavy mixing of the incoming videostreams.

The Jitsi Meet clients (not the old Jitsi Desktop) are basically wrapped Browsers or, lets say, wrappers around JS and WebRTC libraries (yes, I am overly simplifying again here). Also, different streaming techniques (see above), so the answer is, again, a no.

Jitsi hardly touches the video streams on the server at all. Each stream is just forwarded to each client (well, not exactly but you should get the idea)

As far as I know, in Zoom, all plans allow up to 100 participants by default in each meeting (up to 1,000 with Large Meeting add-on). Both Basic and Pro plans allow for unlimited 1-1 meetings, each meeting can have a duration of 24 hours maximum.