Why is transcription linked to Jigasi?

Why is transcription linked to Jigasi? Jigasi links Jitsi with SIP, where SIP can be used to make ‘phonebook calls’. Is it not possible to obtain the XMPP audio stream and use that for transcription?

“Jigasi registers as a SIP client and can be called or be used by Jitsi Meet to make outgoing calls.” That is terribly useful I reckon, but it doesn’t imply to me immediately that this is a transcription component.

Jitsi (Prosody) allows SIP clients but it is not a SIP server, it is an XMPP server. Jigasi is an SIP client where the ‘user’ is the Jitsi/Prosody/XMPP server?

When you use jigasi as transcriber component, you don’t use its sip capabilities, you just use its xmpp capabilities to obtain streams to be transcribed.

Why are such different functions served by the same component/project?

Cause they do the same in both use cases, create an xmpp call get streams and do something with them.

Did you consider pulling them apart? It is too early for me to make this comment, I know, but I could imagine that for example with expanding the use cases there would make sense to pull them apart. I will for certain do so in Eclipse myself. I like both use cases but need to focus.
Do they have common dependencies? I see for example, two packages called ‘transcription’(&.action) in the code. But none called SIP interface for example.
Installing Spectrum in Prosody also allows interfacing with many other IM’s. How does that relate to Jigasi?

Are you using Eclipse? How do you debug the code? Debug as JUnit test doesn’t stop on breakpoints, Debugging from a Debug/Maven configuration neither. I have no recent experience with this. If you can help, I don’t need to think very deeply…

Yes, both are using Jitsi Desktop https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi. To separate them you need to basically duplicate the whole code base, which makes no sense.

Have no idea what is that. Jigasi the same as jitsi-meet just uses xmpp.

Personally, I’m using IntelliJ Idea.

I will install IntelliJ. How do you Debug Jigasi (transcription) with that? To run Jigasi as an application, you use maven install and the bash script. To use transcription, you put additional settings in sip communicator properties. But I think the bash script can just be replaced by running Main in an IDE (Eclipse or IDEA), however, maven install runs the tests while running main as a Java application in an IDE doesn’t: you need to run it with maven install in the IDE as well. However, the debugger doesn’t stop on breakpoints in Eclipse, when I run (debug) the test packages as JUnit tests, nor when I just run a maven-install Debug configuration.

IDE: Debug with Maven -> runs tests -> skips breakpoints.

Create a run configuration

1 Like

what is that (gcloud) json file, please?

This is the authentication json file you download from google cloud console when enabling the API.

right, ~/.config/gcloud/application_default_credentials.json
and your VM options? (…JG?)

Oh wait, that’s probably UG, … DEBUG?

I can run the tests in IntelliJ, by right-clicking and ‘Debug All’. It stops on breakpoints.
I don’t think transcription works (yet). It also requires a lot of steps. But I will put that on a different thread.

Here, I would like to ask which classes belong to SIP linking (SIPGateway, SipGatewaySession) and which to Transcription (has its own 2 packages & TranscriptionGateway, TranscriptionGatewaySession).?

Yes.