Why is a SIP gateway needed/useful

Maybe this is a dummy question, but I am not familiar with SIP and it is not clear to me why is a SIP gateway needed for jitsi-meet, when anyone can use a browser to join the meeting (and everyone has a browser).

I am developing some scripts to install jitsi-meet (https://gitlab.com/docker-scripts/jitsi) and I don’t install jigasi by default. I would like to have an idea about what I am missing by not installing it.

This is needed only if you need dial-out or dial-in, to connect with a sip provider so you can call PSTN or mobile number or to have a number which people can dial in.

This is what I thought too.
So, it is Ok that jigasi is optional, since this does not seem to be a frequent use case. If somebody has a smartphone, most probably he also has internet connection and can connect directly from a browser.

@dashohoxha Out of curiosity, why are you not using https://github.com/jitsi/docker-jitsi-meet ? Did you know we have a Docker setup already available?

In my opinion Docker containers have gone the wrong way. They are too complex to build, use and maintain. I want something simpler.

Simpler for me means that I can use almost the same knowledge and skills that I would use to install jitsi-meet (for example) in a normal (undockerized) Debian or Ubuntu system. For example compare the instructions on the quick-install guide with what you have to do to build your containers. It is orders of magnitude more complex (although docker developers might get used to it and it may seem normal to them).

At least the system that I use seems simpler to me. Maybe I am biased because I am used to it.

I hear you. I disagree though :slight_smile:

All that’s needed is this:

cp env.example .env
docker-compose up

The rest is for adding new functionality / configuration.

Getting the basics done is easy (been there, done that), but when you want to enable authentication, for example, you need to change the configuration in multiple components and then the Docker setup is a lot easier because it’s just setting 2 variables to 1. Then you’ll want jigasi, then jibri, etc.

I was talking about Docker developers, who develop the Dockerfile-s etc. Being a simple sysadmin/user like me, it seems like rocket science to do what you have done, if I wanted to develop the Dockerfile etc. myself.

Anyway, there is no solution that works for everyone. Your docker solution is structured in such a way that you can install each component in its own VPS, if needed, for scalability etc. However I have to manage 15-20 other dockerized applications, besides jitsi-meet, on the same VPS (because I cannot afford to pay for 15-20 VPS-s). So your solution is a bit messy for me, even if it seems to be easy to use.