What does the "Local Recording" Button do?

I’m able to start and stop recording successfully going through the lower-right corner menu pop-up. But I also enabled the ‘localrecording’ button, thinking this would grant me access control to local recordings. When I click on the button though, I only get stats, not recording controls (start/stop/pause). :flushed: Is this what it’s supposed to do?

Local Recording

You enabled the button in interface_config.js, but did you enable the local recordings in config.js - https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/config.js#L531

1 Like

Aaaaah, you’re right! Thanks. I recall seeing that somewhere before installing Jibri. Let me go correct it. Thank you!

Yeah, so this did not fix it. Enabled it in config.js and it’s still the same. And reviewing the code anyway, it looks like it’s referring to audio formats.

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 12.57.44 AM

Here’s the recording going on with Jibri in the room (using the ‘Start Recording’ item from the pop-up menu):

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 12.46.39 AM

I wonder what I’m missing… :thinking:

Local recording is NOT Jibri, local recording will only record yourself, imagine it as open a record app to do some audio note, thus the “local” on the name.

1 Like

Aaaah I see… that would explain why the code only references audio formats. I actually also just noticed that the ‘Start Recording’ on this pop-up is a link. I tried it and you’re indeed correct - it records audio. Thanks @Ark74! :+1:t5:

On another note, I’m curious why this button also shows up for guests when they can’t really use it. The notification after recording the voice relay says to ask other participants for their audio recording, but guests can’t use this feature - when they click the button, it recognizes they’re not authenticated as a moderator and doesn’t present them with the option to start recording. So why’s the button even made available to them?