Voice keeps saying: "End to end encyption is off"

In a meeting, some participants kept hearing an automatic voice saying “end-to-end encryption is off”, many times in a row every few seconds, then a break, and then it started all over again, making it impossible to follow the speaker.
Can you tell me what caused it, and how I can fix it?
Still rather new to this.
Thank you,
Nellie

I should probably add it was on meet.jit.si, and it seems the voice was only audible for people on web browsers, not on mobile phones (both Android and iPhone seemed fine).

Welcome to the forum.

Were they only hearing the “off” announcement, not the “on” announcement?

Hi Freddy, thank you for replying! Yes, it was always only “off”. For the whole duration of the meeting which was like 1.5 hours.

There was one new member who seemed to struggle with using the settings. For example, at one point they turned off everyone’s cameras, shared their screen not knowing how to unshare it again etc. I’m not too familiar with all the options myself yet but I’m wondering whether they might have inadvertently changed something that caused it?

Thanks again for taking the time to help!
Nellie

Hmm…mm that’s pretty unusual. If it was coming on and off, I’d have thought maybe someone was playing with the toggle. This is the first reporting I’ve seen of this, so it’s hard to say what to make of it.

Can you gather browser js console logs if you ever encounter it again? Those will be very helpful.

1 Like

Hi Freddie (sorry, misspelled it),

I do have audio but I guess that isn’t all too useful. I’ll try to find out where to find those logs (I used the latest version of Firefox, i.e. 92.0.1). I keep hoping though that it won’t occur again :slight_smile: It was the first time after 30 meetings where everything went just fine.

found the log :smiley:
Our meeting was between 11 - 12:45 (ish).
For that period, the log only has one entry:

11:16:00.471 BackgroundUpdate: _reasonsToNotScheduleUpdates: Failed to check for Maintenance Service Registry Key: [Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED) [nsIUpdateProcessor.getServiceRegKeyExists]” nsresult: “0x80004001 (NS_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED)” location: “JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/BackgroundUpdate.jsm :: _reasonsToNotScheduleUpdates :: line 243” data: no] BackgroundUpdate.jsm:245

This was at around the time when I quickly ran the latest FF update hoping this would fix it, but it didn’t. That voice message was right there again when I re-entered the meeting.

The next log entry is from 13:15. By that time, the meeting was over.

Doesn’t seem to help much, or does it?

Thanks, Nellie. Nothing really stands out in that log to me, as far as E2EE is concerned. The Service Registry Key error appears to be a Firefox update problem (seems consistent with your report that you updated FF right around then). Hopefully the E2EE issue doesn’t happen again, but if it does, please gather full logs and share. :smiley:

1 Like

will do, thanks Freddie!!!