Visitors in my meeting? Is it safe for school lessons?

Hi, I’m a teacher, I’ve been using zoom for my online lessons, but today I read it shares data with Facebook, so I’m trying to find an alternative. I’ve just tried to use Jitsi; I opend a meeting called ‘prova’, just to see what I can do with it. Surprisingly, in the five minutes I was connected, two people shortly entered my meeting, quickly leaving it. What does it mean? Should I not invite people to allow them join? If I am to use Jitsi with a class, I must be sure it is safe. Is it possible for anyone to join a meeting without beeing invited?

hi, yes anyone could enter in meeting using the same conference name, then it’ s important your meeting name are complex and change regularly. You can also setup a password in option when you are already connected to the bridge that next attendees will have to enter to access the meeting.
good luck

Michael

1 Like

Thank you Michael, sorry for the naive question; I am new and I did not find an answer in the FAQ.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m a teacher too. In my school we are using “WeScool” platform, that has embedded Jitsi Meet in order to have video lessons.
I’ve seen that everybody - teacher and students - has the same permssions, like ‘mute everyone’ or ‘kick out’ other participants from the room. Moreover, even though a teacher mutes everyone, any student can unmute himself, creating noise and other stuff.
Is there a way to give the teacher more permissions and to give the students more restrctives ones?So that the teacher, as an example, can mute/unmute every studend in a mandatory mode? And the students cannot kick out every person they want to…
Can anybody help me?

2 Likes

Hello! I am an italian teacher and I’m using Meet jitsi for videoconferences since we aren’t having school at the moment, as everybody knows. Unfortunately this morning an anonimous fellow entered our lesson and continuously kicked students out or muted my microphone. I had given a personalized address only to the students of my class, so how could it be possible? It doesn’t seem to be safe for the class…
Can you help me?

2 Likes

As a platform user, it is advisable to assign a password to the classroom and give a complex name to the room, since if two or more users put the same name to the room, this problem may occur.

1 Like

Thanks a lot! I’ll do it. Shall I assign it before beginning the lesson or after all the students have entered the room? Sorry, I’m quite new…