Videobridge does not start

Hello,

I’ve installed Jitsi on my Ubuntu 16.04 server with the quick install but jvb always fail to start.

systemctl status jitsi-videobridge.service return :

● jitsi-videobridge.service - Jitsi Videobridge
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/jitsi-videobridge.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2019-03-14 13:11:42 UTC; 12min ago
Process: 6620 ExecStartPost=/bin/bash -c echo $MAINPID > /var/run/jitsi-videobridge/jitsi-videobridge.pid (code=exited, status=218/CAPABILITIES)
Process: 6619 ExecStart=/bin/bash -c exec /usr/share/jitsi-videobridge/jvb.sh --host=$${JVB_HOST:-localhost} --domain={JVB_HOSTNAME} --port={JVB_PORT} --secret={JVB_SECRET} {JVB_OPTS} < /dev/null >> ${LOGFILE} 2>&1 (code=exited, st
Main PID: 6619 (code=exited, status=218/CAPABILITIES)

Mar 14 13:11:42 vps59736 systemd[1]: Stopped Jitsi Videobridge.
Mar 14 13:11:42 vps59736 systemd[1]: Starting Jitsi Videobridge…
Mar 14 13:11:42 vps59736 systemd[1]: jitsi-videobridge.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=218/CAPABILITIES
Mar 14 13:11:42 vps59736 systemd[1]: jitsi-videobridge.service: Control process exited, code=exited status=218
Mar 14 13:11:42 vps59736 systemd[1]: Failed to start Jitsi Videobridge.
Mar 14 13:11:42 vps59736 systemd[1]: jitsi-videobridge.service: Unit entered failed state.
Mar 14 13:11:42 vps59736 systemd[1]: jitsi-videobridge.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.

uname -a return :

2.6.32-042stab133.2 #1 SMP Mon Aug 27 21:07:08 MSK 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

During the Jitsi meet installation i’ve got some errors (permission denied):

• Applying /etc/sysctl.d/10-kernel-hardening.conf …
    sysctl: permission denied on key ‘kernel.kptr_restrict’
  • Applying /etc/sysctl.d/10-link-restrictions.conf …
  • Applying /etc/sysctl.d/10-magic-sysrq.conf …
    sysctl: permission denied on key ‘kernel.sysrq’
  • Applying /etc/sysctl.d/10-network-security.conf …
    net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
    net.ipv4.conf.all.rp_filter = 1
    net.ipv4.tcp_syncookies = 1
  • Applying /etc/sysctl.d/10-ptrace.conf …
  • Applying /etc/sysctl.d/10-zeropage.conf …
    vm.mmap_min_addr = 65536
  • Applying /etc/sysctl.d/20-jvb-udp-buffers.conf …
    sysctl: permission denied on key ‘net.core.rmem_max’
    sysctl: permission denied on key ‘net.core.netdev_max_backlog’
  • Applying /etc/sysctl.d/99-sysctl.conf …
  • Applying /etc/sysctl.conf …
    Job for jitsi-videobridge.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See “systemctl status jitsi-videobridge.service” and “journalctl -xe” for details.
    jitsi-videobridge.service couldn’t start.

And there is no jvb.log in /var/log/jitsi/

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

I’m reading about this error and it seems can happen when running an older kernel or something and can be fixed by commenting the CAPABILITIES line from the systemd file, but this means that if you are using jvb as a webserver it will not be able to bind to port 443.
There must be some other problem cause I haven’t seen this permission denied errors before when executing sysctl.

Oo I just saw the kernel is pretty old 2.6 something, is this the default kernel on 16.04? I think, that is the cause of the problem.

Yes, it was the default kernel when I bought this server. I just installed apache2 and jitsi-meet.

You need newer kernel.
It’s a known issue with systemd and older kernels, for example see: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=712710

quote:

This error will happen whenever the kernel adds a new capability, we build systemd against it, and then someone attempts to run it on an older kernel.

And how do I get a newer kernel ? (I’m a beginner with linux :zipper_mouth_face:)

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-16.04
sudo reboot

Thank you, I will try.

I’ll tell you if there is something new :smile:

The server i’m using uses OpenVZ kernel so I can’t update it, do you have a solution without updating the kernel ? Or do I need to buy another server with a newer kernel ?

I wouldn’t recommend that, if you are installing a production server… but if it’s not a production one, you can try fixing that and it will help you learn linux.

You can try downgrading systemd and/or editing the jitsi-videobridge systemd files (like @damencho mentioned earlier, you can try commenting out the CAPABILITIES lines). You can try downgrading the init system, switching from systemd to sysvinit and using SystemV init script for videobridge.

I find it very strange to have Ubuntu 16.04 with linux version 2.6.32, as I believe this kernel should have already reached its end-of-life when the 16.04 was released.

Ok, I will try :grinning:

Thank you for your anwsers

Hello, can you tell me what’s the minimal kernel version required for jitsi please ? Because I think I will change my server :wink:

Jitsi doesn’t depend directly on linux versions, it is systemd that is not compatible with your kernel. If you have a stock Ubuntu 16.04 with the kernel it came with (I believe it should be from the 4.4 versions line) you should be OK.
Linux 2.6.32 is from 2009 and the problem is that you are running it with a (newer) systemd. So generally speaking maybe 4.4 will be fine, but it’s best if you can use the latest kernel of the distribution version (no matter if it’s Ubuntu 16.04 or other debian-based).