Video quality & width on mobile portrait mode

Hi guys,

We have been testing jitsi meet. Have our own local server. Using Jitsi Meet iOS SDK, we are noticing that the quality of the video is bad if one participant using jitsi meet via web and the other is using mobile.

web to web = fine
web to mobile = bad quality
*server has a lot of bandwidth and resources
*mobile devices have strong wifi connection

Is there any way to bump up the quality? The camera width is obviously wider on the webcams, and when the phone renders the video in full screen format, it seems to zoom in almost (and is perhaps respecting the aspect ratio and min video size?

In the interface_config.js I see:
/**
* Maximum coeficient of the ratio of the large video to the visible area
* after the large video is scaled to fit the window.
* @type {number}
*/
MAXIMUM_ZOOMING_COEFFICIENT: 1.3,

We tried setting this to 1 so there would be no zoom on the video, but that didn’t help.

In the config.js, I see some configurable options for this as well:
// w3c spec-compliant video constraints to use for video capture. Currently
// used by browsers that return true from lib-jitsi-meet’s
// util#browser#usesNewGumFlow. The constraints are independent from
// this config’s resolution value. Defaults to requesting an ideal
// resolution of 720p.
// constraints: {
// video: {
// height: {
// ideal: 720,
// max: 720,
// min: 360
// }
// }
// },

The quality reduction seems to be not as noticeable in Landscape mode on the mobile device, perhaps because we are getting the full width in frame. But when using Portrait it is still very pixelated because it almost seems like the video is zoomed in and respecting the aspect ratio.

Is the something we can do scale the video down to the width of the mobile device rather than appearing pixelated and missing the left and right sides of the screen on mobile devices?

Thx for any suggestions or help you can throw my way :slight_smile:

Cheers

and just to clarify …

mobile device streaming video to web is perfect.

web streaming video to mobile device is bad. especially in portrait mode. using landscape mode on the mobile device it is not quite as bad.

it can be a 720p video stream, but it is looking pixelated and zoomed in on the mobile device in portrait mode.

Any thoughts here guys?

Is there any way to take the desktop video and downsize it so that the max width is dependent on the mobile device screen width? i.e. so you don’t get video bleeding off the left and right sides?