Video fluidity

Hello everyone,
Tremendous project !
I have setup a Jitsi-meet on one of my company public server. Works well.
But, one of the user (who is deaf) need to extensively use sign language to communicate. The issue is that the video is not fluid enough.
I did some tests with the user on https://meet.jit.si/, on the Jitsi Meet on the company server and finally on the public Zoom service.
The user told me Zoom is fluid, but both Jitsi Meet are jerky and not usable.
On the server side memory and cpu usage are correct.
Is there anything I can do ?

the problem is most probably related to the client side, not server. Either too limited bandwidth, or computer too limited.
If the Cpu is too weak there is not much you can do. If it’s bandwidth related, I don’t know sign language myself, is high resolution vital to understanding it ? if the resolution is lower, the system can accomodate more frames. Can you ask the user to use the video quality slider to lower the maximum received quality to see if it helps ? If the user has to set the quality too low to be usable, the only remaining possibility would be to switch to the VP9 setting, but it’s still experimental for Jitsi and has drawbacks, especially if you have phone users (very high use of Cpu) - needless to say, if the problem is Cpu related VP9 will not help at all.

Thank you for your answer.
This user is not alone to give me feedback about some jerkiness in video on Jitsi comparatively to Zoom. But, for this particular user it is really important to have a fluid feed as it is on Zoom.
I will do some tests with the resolution setting.
Concerning VP9, don’t know anything about it, will look into it.

Perhaps you should look for a platform for creating video and audio conferences with support for subtitles? Or invite a special sign language interpreter to your conference.

Thank you for your reply, but no, that’s not my issue. The user is able to communicate on Zoom with other team members since the video feed is fluid. Using Jitsi, the jittery make it difficult.
Again the issue is both on the company installed Jitsi-meet and the publicly available Jitsi-meet service.

Looking into VP9, it seems that this is not supported yet in Jitsi. So that’s a no.

Switching to Low Definition setting helped a little but still not enough.

Tried also to disable Simulcast, it was worst.

Checked CPU and memory usage on client laptop and company server. Everything is fine.

So I have no clue what to do now. Teams were very happy to switch to a self hosted Jitsi, away from Zoom, but it seems that Jitsi may not be able to offer the same video quality/fluidity.

so it’s most probably coming from the workstation capabilities

it’s experimental; it’s not enabled on meet.jit.si because support is not general for all devices, but if your devices can manage it, it can be used.

Enable it by setting

org.jitsi.jicofo.ENABLE_H264=false
org.jitsi.jicofo.ENABLE_VP8=false
org.jitsi.jicofo.ENABLE_VP9=true

in
/etc/jitsi/jicofo/sip-communicator.properties

this is pointing at bandwidth as the root cause then. VP9 could be worth a try.
Edit: in the case of your user, if the mic is enabled it could use some bandwidth if there is some background noise, so disable the mic could be useful too.