Video cropped in Chrome aspect ratio and quality is incorrect

Using latest stable version fro git.

Testing on mac, BigSur, chrome browser version 87.0.4280.88

I can see that only chrome, is cropping my video to what looks like a 4:3 aspect ratio, or at least something close to that and bitrate looks low quality when viewing the remote.

If I launch another browser like firefox and call my self, I can see in firefox that my video is perfectly fine at 16:9 and a decent quality on the remote side.

Does anyone have suggestions on what the issue could be? I thought it was down to versions of releases, but I rolled back a few times, and the result is the same. So I am guessing it has something to how jitsi is requesting video from the browser?

Try setting the aspect ratio in your constraints (in config.js):

constraints: {
         video: {
             aspectRatio: 16 / 9,
             height: {

Tried that, it had no effect.

Additionally, why would FF handle that different than Chrome, even with or without that flag. I think thats the issue, no?

There was some change in chrome, and we are aware of the problem. We tried to do a fix, but made things worse, looking at it.

So simulcast disable worked for sureā€¦ HUGE difference in the quality of the video.

Does anyone know where the simulcast configuration settings are? Meaning where the rule settings and the video options based on the network conditions?

I have a similar issue with Chrome 87.0.4280.141 on Windows for my second camera (via USB, provides 16:9 1080p video). The video frame is cropped at top and bottom and then streched back to 16:9 in jitsi.
The camera signal is shown and recorded correctly in the Windows camera app
The internal camera of my laptop is handled correctly in jitsi.

Firefox adds black bars at the side and squeezes the video in jitsi. When I go into settings in the jitsi menu, the video aspect ratio is corrected in the settings preview and the videocall signal from then on (I do not have to change settings, just open it from the menu). However, my video signal is provided in poor quality to the other participants when I use firefox, therefore I prefer to use Chrome.

I am interested in a work-around solution with Chrome settings, since I am a jitsi user and cannot change the server settings.