Video Bitrate Maxes Out at 1800kbps on a P2P Call

We can raise the b/w cap for a session by adding the following line to the video description in the local sdp.
b=AS:bitrate-in-kbps

That’s true, but I’m not looking for a permanent solution — I’d be ok with a quick temporary fix that would allow me to launch a beta version of the startup I’m working on.

I can quickly describe my product and why I need hi-res video in the first place, but the short version is that I’m bootstrapping a service for remote shopping, and my customers will need to inspect physical objects (antiques and collectables) remotely, over a video call.

For example...

For example, it can be used for remote shopping at flea markets. You’ll pay a person that lives in another part of the world to show up at a specific location at a specific time, and using his smartphone he will join you on a WebRTC call, during which you’ll be seeing in your browser what he sees in real world and you’ll tell him your step-by-step commands. Like go around the market, pick up some items, show them up close, buy stuff on your behalf and finally ship it to you. I’m building a platform that will make this all possible (like Uber). However, initially I can’t afford developing a custom video calling stack, so I want to start with an off-the-shelf solution with minimal hassle.

I understand that this isn’t what Jitsi SDK is built for, but Jitsi Meet has enough functionality to help me validate the concept and start fulfilling the pre-orders I’ve collected. I am only hampered by the lack of support for high-complexity high-quality video transmission from mobile, which my customers need to inspect the condition of the stuff they’re gonna be buying (to see the scratches, cracks, wear and tear). That includes 1) higher bitrate ceiling and 2) optimization for sharpness rather than smoothness via constraints.

At some point I’ll surely have to develop a custom client app that’ll be future-proof and so on, but it’s way down the road.

I see. I think either option should help you. Modifying the JS code is a lot less involved, however. @jallamsetty what would be the right place to make this change?

A quick hack would be to munge the localSdp and add the b=AS: line to the video description, i.e., after a=mid:video line in the localSdp at the below line.

Hello @saghul

Is there any way, we can set resolution in mobile apps for video sent to participants.

Is there any way, we can reduce the quality of video while receiving from other participants for example, some parcipant is duing HD quality video but i should receive 360x240 only.

That is not yet available on mobile, sorry.

Hello @jallamsetty,

I am trying to follow your instruction posted on 26th of Feb, but I cannot seem to find any line in the linked JS file containing a=mid:video. Could you please get into a little bit more details on how to achieve SDP munging to overcome the bitrate limit?
Thank you in advance.

Hi @danionescu2007, we have now made it easier to implement max bitrates for both p2p and jvb connections. You can specify the max bitrates that need to be configured for LD, SD and HD streams in config.js - https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/config.js#L259

Hi @jallamsetty and thank you for your reply.
Does the docker implementation include these additions for specifying the codecs and bitrates?
My config.js provided by the docker version does not include any of these variables.

I am not sure if we made a docker release with the latest versions from the stable repo. @saghul might know ?

It’s coming soon. We had some bugs in the latest stable we don’t want to release to Docker.