Using hiddenDomain to hide users

Hello,

I’m testing using the hiddenDomain feature as I’m trying to build a web page using the API from which users can access/preview a conference as a “hidden user”.

I had set this up previously for Jibri, and I can confirm that this works for Jibri. When Jibri connects to a conference, the console log shows Jibri connecting from recorder@recorder.mydomain and shows isHidden: true

So I thought I could test this on the web page by using:

window.localStorage.setItem(‘xmpp_username_override’, ‘recorder@recorder.mydomain’);
window.localStorage.setItem(‘xmpp_password_override’, ‘recorderpassword’);

I can confirm that the values are in local storage with window.localStorage.getItem(“xmpp_username_override”) and window.localStorage.getItem(“xmpp_password_override”)

However, the clients connecting from this page still connect using id@mydomain instead of recorder@recorder.mydomain . I don’t think xmpp_username_override is working as intended.

Any ideas?

You need to set it before loading the page, probably if you reload it will start working.

I figured out the issue.

The webpage using the API to embed the conference is hosted on “mydomain.com”. While my Jitsi Meet domain is “meet.mydomain.com”. When I was setting xmpp_username_override in local storage, it was applying it to local storage for “mydomain.com” instead of “meet.mydomain.com”. I was able to set this manually in local storage through Chrome dev tools for meet.mydomain.com, and verified that the user was connecting with the isHidden flag.

Since it will be tricky to share this local storage to my subdomain, is any other way to set the hidden xmpp user and password? Like can I somehow set this as a global variable on the webpage using the API to embed the conference?

Also, on another related note - It appears that when a user connects as a hiddenuser in this fashion, they can still see themselves as a participant. This isn’t ideal, so I was wondering if there is any way to change this? (I discovered that setting “iAmRecorder” as true will achieve this, but the result is that this disables being able to view chat messages, which is also not desirable.)

they can use the chat function but they can’t see the chat. However, other non-hidden participants can see still see their inputs.

1 Like

Hiding participants in general is a privacy problem and is not recommended. If I’m in a meeting I want to know who is watching and hearing me, that’s why there are audio notifications when recorder is coming hidden, this should be known by participants by the law in most of the countries …

@damencho

In this case, the privacy options for the room are set elsewhere, so this would only be a feature for rooms set to public.

However, in general using the “isHidden” feature is not the ideal for my use case. The problem is that we have conferences where a large number of users do not turn on their camera or mic. As a result, the conference has many empty/static thumbnails when in tile mode or when filmstrip is on. We just want to be able to hide the thumbnails/tiles for participants with no video.