Using 443 doesn't work (no vido/audio)

Hi there,
I’m trying to set up a jitsi meet enviroment for our small company, so that we will be able to do webmeetings with our customers.
I first tried a single installation (all on 1 server) on Debian.
This worked well till we noticed that in many cases customers aren’t able to join the meeting correctly (no video/audio). Further investigation showed, that this occurs if the customer can only use port 443 to connect outside their network.

So I was looking for a complete documentation how to set up a jitsi enviroment, using 443 in those cases. As the official servers at meet.jit.si work with those customers I guess it is possible to configure it right.

As far as I understood the easiest way would be to have the videobridge running on a 2nd server, listening on 443. I tried this using this guide: A guide to setting up a Jitsi Meet server with seperate videobridges in 2022. - Blog: Semaphor
Didn’t work as expected. Still no video/audio. I couldn’t even get the bridge to listen on 443 :frowning:
I’ve read a few solutions using TURN but none of those worked either.
So I’m a bit lost right now.

I thought that it’s not that much uncommon that companies only allow 443 for outgoing traffic. Guess I’m wrong.
Can some help and give me advices how I should set up the enviroment and wht confirguartion changes are needed?
Running 2 server instances would be possible.

Thanks!

It’s possible they are restricting UDP traffic too. Then your last recourse is to use TURN TLS, but the quality would suffer.

You may also try jitsi-base installer or jitsi-secure installer. It installs and configures TURN server too.

3 Likes

Thanks. I wasn’ aware of these scripts. Will give them a try.

Nice work on those installers Emrah!

1 Like