User jvb fails to authenticate with prosody

I have installed jitsi-meet on Ubuntu 18.04, alongside an already running prosody installation.

Now, after going through the install, jvb@[myhost] fails to authenticate to prosody:

Failed authentication attempt (not-authorized) for user jvb from IP: 127.0.0.1

is the message that repeats itself in /var/log/prosody/prosody.log

prosodyctl informs me, that there is no such user as jvb@[myhost], and I also cannot create it:

root@[myhost]:~# prosodyctl adduser jvb@meet.[myhost]
Enter new password: 
Retype new password: 
Account creation/modification not supported.

How is the interaction between jvb and prosody supposed to work? Apparently, there is a JVB_SECRET in /etc/jitsi/videobridge/config but I cannot find its counterpart in /etc/prosody/conf.d

Is there a problem with pre-existing prosody installs? Does Jitsi expect to have it all for itself? I noticed that it just overwrites the turnserver config without asking, so I wonder whether there are similar issues with prosody…

you used quick install ?

If you used quick install, that’s where it’s done: prosody-install. It seems that something in your install is not compatible with this script. Since you installed prosody yourself you should be able to adapt it.

you used quick install ?

I ran apt install jitsi-meet, which of course runs all the postinst scripts of the packages that are pulled in through dependencies.

If you used quick install, that’s where it’s done: prosody-install. It seems that something in your install is not compatible with this script. Since you installed prosody yourself you should be able to adapt it.

Which seems to be the postinst script for the jitsi-meet-prosody package. I’ll look into it.