URL options to reduce CPU load

Hi all,

I am setting up a Raspberry Pi with Jitsi in kiosk mode (meet.jit.si in Chromium-browser) for my mother to allow her to see the grandkids in Corona-time. There are a couple of challenges to be solved. But the main issue is that the RasPi does not have much CPU power and therefore the user experience is pretty painful, latency adding up for video and sound.

I can speed the video conference up by changing the resolution down on both sides of the conference. I guess there are other options that are CPU-costly. Therefore I would like to ask you for two things:

1. Which are the options that I can/should switch off to decrease the latency?

2. Which of these can be toggled off in the URL?

I have understood that the options in the ConfigWhitelist can be changed in the URL. I have not found “Resolution” though. And for the others I do not know which will not harm the functionality (for a conference with 2 participants) like sound improvements and which have the best impact on CPU release. I understand that specific differences depend also on the hardware, but general guidance will be much appreciated!

Just one more question regarding sound options: I actually hear my own voice with the given latency. Is it intentional that the own mic is broadcasted to the user? If so (might make sense for headphones?), can that be switched off?

Thanks in advance for any hint!
PuMa

Related topic

Jitsi Meet performance on Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3+

If the CPU load is sufficiently low, the latency is reduced to an acceptable extend. Setting the resolution with a parameter did not work, but setting resolution boundaries helped.

Also the distortion and echo is almost disappearing. So thanks for the help!

1 Like