URGENT - Low image quality after update

@jallamsetty, didn’t make much sense to me either. Although, I’ve also heard that tile view is set to display at 180, which makes no sense to me, seeing how terrible that resolution is and how many different resolutions we actually reported.

Yes, enableLayerSuspension is set to “true” in my config.js

Can you please disable layer suspension and see if it fixes it ? Resolution requested in tile view depend on the number of participants and the size of the tiles. Yes, we did make it harder to request higher resolutions which can again be controlled via this config - https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/config.js#L275
You can lower the thresholds here for the tile height needed for requesting SD and HD and see if that makes a difference.

Ok, I’ll try that and get back.

I presume this involves cloning and compiling as well? :flushed: The Developer’s handbook was really tough for me to follow, the last time I tried. I’ll take a stab again.

Thanks.

Thanks, no this one is a config.js setting and needs to be modified in /etc/jitsi/meet/yourdomain.com-config.js. You may want lower thresholds for requesting SD and HD videos, something like when thumbail height is 100, request SD and when thumbnail height is 500, request HD. Right now its set to request SD only when the thumbail height reaches 360 and 720 for HD.

Oh, you’re right. Phew! Glad I don’t have to go the Developer route - for now… lol.
Okay, will try both changes out.

1 Like

@Freddie, This may help, if you end up having to go that route.

@corby thank you. Yes, I actually tried that too - it was easier to follow, but I got stuck somewhere along the lines, it was late at night and I was tired, so I paused it. I definitely need to get back into it though - I want more power over my environment and deployment. Thanks!

1 Like

@jallamsetty so, I’m looking through this config file you referenced and it looks markedly different from mine. Is it because changes have been made to it locally? I hope I’m not missing an updated version of config.js somehow. :flushed:

@Freddie Is it possible that you don’t have the latest release from the stable repo ?

The config.js file does not update when using apt… I ran into the same issue!
I made a backup of my original file, copied the one from github inside it.
I opened 2 windows side-by side and copied data from mine to the one on github and scrolled through the new features…

@jallamsetty I updated using “apt update” - I assumed that should have updated everything for me. Is there a better way to update?

@Normand_Nadon - Thanks for pointing this out. I’ll have to do the same. Can’t believe I’ve been running an outdated config file all this while… lol

From what I have read in multiple posts in the past, the “safest” way to update is to backup your configs, “apt purge” jitsi and reinstall completely ! Then you re-populate your config files…

I was considering making a script to repopulate my files, but manual oversee seems like a better choice because many settings have changed lately.

FYI, this is one reason why source control such as Git, along with a file merging utility, can come in really handy. There are GUI Git clients as well.

I know… I need to setup a better developing environment on my PC…
I have VS-Codium, connected to our github instance, but this is still new territories for me :expressionless:

I’m thinking “apt update” should take care of the rest. The config files are the ones that would need to be manually updated. I had to do that for interface_config.js (because I immediately noticed customizations were missing after I updated), but I didn’t think config.js had changed too. I think your method of just manually comparing and editing is probably safer.

2 Likes

@Normand_Nadon, I think you’ll find this topic helpful:

@Normand_Nadon, your issue - not being able to receive 1080p is fixed in the tip of master - https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/commit/39af6f59435063fe9d8c0a13b2270325baf80a38

Thanks for the tip… I will have a look at it…
BTW, Actually, Simulcast is completely broken… Whatever I do, when it is enabled, there is no way that the quality increases with the connection… It is un watchable…

Also, I find this funny that jitsi is calling 1080p “ultra”… 1080p is Full HD, not ultra HD !

Do you know if these changes are also in the Docker version?
Our latest install is on docker and we might switch everything on docker later…

@Normand_Nadon If you had paid attention to the commit you would have noticed that Jitsi added support for resolutions up to 4K which is Ultra HD and therefore this change automatically fixes your case.