Unsupported browser error IOS Ionic

Hello,
I’m developing an Ionic Cross platform app for Android and Ios and I’m getting the Unsupported Browser error on Ios. I checked the nginx access logs and it looks like the server it’s getting safari 13.0.3 version, but my app is native. I have to mention that i’m running jitsi on my own self-hosted server and I’m loading the url in an Iframe. I also tried with an meet.jit.si url but not results.

If you are using w webview to load the web app in an iframe you are not a native app but a browser, for all intents and purposes. We don’t support the Safari engine on iOS 13 any longer, iOS 14 is the minimum requirement.

The problem is that I run the app on iOS 15

So you are running iOS 15 and you see Safari 13.0.3 in your nginx access logs? Then maybe the Ionic WebView component overrides the UA.

Is there a way to change the min Safari version?

Not really. At this time You need Safari >= 14.

Hello, how are you guys doing? Were you able to solve this problem? I’m facing the same issue, I’m using Ionic 4 + iFrame jitsi configuration, but on iOS a gray screen is showing up saying “we don’t fully support… Try latest version of Chrome or Chromium”. Although if I try to access the room through my iOS browser, I can enter the room successfully… This happens when I use a device with iOS 14+… If I use a device with a lower iOS version, both of the cases (app and iOs browser) block me of entering the room.
Any ideia what could I do?
Thank you in advance…

What user agent string does that webview use?

Well, I’m testing my Ionic project using “ionic serve” and setting layout to iPhone XR and I’m getting the following result for User-Agent:

• Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 13_2_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.0.3 Mobile/15E148 Safari/604.1

The same happens when I run on Xcode iOS simulators of any version

Ah, that is Safari 13, that’s why you see that screen. We only support Safari >= 14.

Oh, so that’s bad… Is there anything I could do to make it work? I assume I can’t run Safari 14 in devices with iOS < 13, right? Would the best option be to use iOS SDK?

Update:
Hm… ok. So, this is my first time doing such a thing, like configuring a SDK for iOS and I’m feeling a bit lost on the docs, do you have any tutorial (sorry if I am asking too much) or something like this that could help me implementing it?

thank you once again

Using the iOS SDK is your ownly choice there. We support iOS >= 12.

1 Like