Unable to use my camera. Help!

Hello,
I have been invited to a conference on Jitsi tomorrow evening but when I connect to the site my camera will not open. I can see and hear the other participants and they can hear me but they cannot see me.
Can somebody advise me on what to do please ? Thank you
joeles46@gmail.com

either your browser has registered a previous pref to not use the camera (that’s the case with Chrome - usually Firefox asks every time, so possibly you can try with Firefox, or empty local storage), or your cam is not webrtc compatible. You can check this at test.webrtc.org. If the cam does not work there it’s a problem.

Hello,

Thank you for your help. I connected to the test site and all the camera settings are marked with a red (X). What can I do to change that ?

Thank you

if you click on the failed settings there is normally a more explicit message, what is displayed ?

Check resolution 320x240
[ FAILED ] getUserMedia failed with error: OverconstrainedError
Check resolution 640x480
Check resolution 1280x720
Check supported resolutions
[ INFO ] 160x120 not supported
[ INFO ] 160x120 not supported
[ INFO ] 320x180 not supported
[ INFO ] 320x240 not supported
[ INFO ] 640x360 not supported
[ INFO ] 640x480 not supported
[ INFO ] 768x576 not supported
[ INFO ] 1024x576 not supported
[ INFO ] 1280x720 not supported
[ INFO ] 1280x768 not supported
[ INFO ] 1280x800 not supported
[ INFO ] 1920x1080 not supported
[ INFO ] 1920x1200 not supported
[ INFO ] 3840x2160 not supported
[ INFO ] 4096x2160 not supported

This is what appears.

your cam does not seem to be supported with webrtc. Maybe try another browser.
Or use your phone if you have a smartphone with a 3G connection. In some cases a smartphone can be used as a webcam - I remember that a software called OBS (I think) allows this under Windows.

I don’t understand why the camera won’t open. I can connect to Skype, Meet, Zoom etc I’m sure it’s just a simple clic but where?

I’ve already tested with webrtc.org and it doesn’t work. So what can I do now?

well, that’s the compatibility test. If it does not work, all you can do is to add your problem to the relevant Jitsi issue. If you want resullts fast, try another cam. That’s how computer and software driver behave generally.