Unable to install from apt due to missing ruby interpreter

Ubuntu 20.04 (Linux ferio.raindrop.works 5.4.0-89-generic #100-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 24 14:50:10 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)

When trying to install jitsi-meet from apt after adding the key and repository, I keep running into the same error:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/jicofo.postinst: /usr/bin/hocon: /usr/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package jicofo (--configure):
 installed jicofo package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 126
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of jitsi-meet:
 jitsi-meet depends on jicofo (= 1.0-813-1); however:
  Package jicofo is not configured yet.

Of course this causes everything to fail. I don’t use ruby generally, but I believe the Mastodon instance that’s running on this server is using Ruby. But I’m not sure how I should go about fixing this.

Your apt database seems broken. Usually this kind of error comes from systems having used PPAs from different origins that conflict with each other and dependencies get destroyed, often from risky tentatives to overcome these conflicts. You should try to fix your apt database and never install PPAs for unrelated applications in a single computer. Containers are the way to go if you have such kind of need. That’s why I run Jitsi-meet in a container.

Try

sudo apt -f install
sudo apt install --reinstall ruby

But fixing a broken database is a dark art and it may be more complex than that.

Yeah, I was originally starting off using a container, but I was having issues with conflicting ports that after I fixed led to constant disconnects with apparent websocket errors (based on my browser’s console output), so I figured apt would be a good attempt.

I -do- know I have a PPA for Matrix/Synapse that is messed up, but hadn’t poked more into that at the moment because it didn’t seem immediately relevant, but I’ll take a closer look at these issues

Well, I was able to fix the database issue as you suggested (after I purged the old matrix source and added the current one, guessing they changed recently) and was able to fix the install, but I’m unfamiliar enough with the program to know how to code it’s config and point my apache instance at it properly, so I may be forced to deal with the docker container anyway.

yes not many people are using Apache with Jitsi. There where some posts on this forum about it, but as I don’t use Apache myself I never bookmarked them. But there is a search function…