Ubuntu installation - stuck at launch

Hi there, I just installed the desktop app using the Ubuntu (18.04) repositories. For some reason, the app freezes at the splash screen. I then launched the app using the terminal and had a ton of output regarding missing dependencies (assumed APT would have taken care of this).

A few snippets from the terminal output:

WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction (file:/usr/share/jitsi/lib/felix.jar) to method java.net.URLClassLoader.addURL(java.net.URL)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.apache.felix.framework.util.SecureAction
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

and things like:

org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Unable to resolve net.java.sip.communicator.shutdowntimeout [76](R 76.0): missing requirement [net.java.sip.communicator.shutdowntimeout [76](R 76.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=org.jitsi.service.configuration) [caused by: Unable to resolve org.jitsi.libjitsi [125](R 125.0): missing requirement [org.jitsi.libjitsi [125](R 125.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=com.sun.jna.ptr) [caused by: Unable to resolve com.sun.jna [88](R 88.0): missing requirement [com.sun.jna [88](R 88.0)] osgi.ee; (&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=1.4.0))]] Unresolved requirements: [[net.java.sip.communicator.shutdowntimeout [76](R 76.0)] osgi.wiring.package; (osgi.wiring.package=org.jitsi.service.configuration)]
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.resolveBundleRevision(Felix.java:4111)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.startBundle(Felix.java:2117)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.Felix.setActiveStartLevel(Felix.java:1371)
	at org.apache.felix.framework.FrameworkStartLevelImpl.run(FrameworkStartLevelImpl.java:308)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:844)
  • I had installed following the instructions on the Jitsi site (commands, etc).
  • Tried doing an apt install -f to ensure the dependencies (from an APT POV was met)

Thank you in advance.

Hello there.

I am a Linux user and I had the same issue when I upgraded from Linux Mint 17.3 to Linux Mint 19. The problem, it turned out, appears to be related to Java and I was pointed in the right direction by a splendid chap on the Linux forum. You need to install Java Oracle and set version 8 to be default and then it should work fine. The terminal commands for Linux are:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

sudo apt update

sudo apt install oracle-java8-installer

sudo update-alternatives --config java

[and then select option 2 to make Oracle 8 default]

I would imagine they will be the same or similar in Ubuntu but do check first.

As a matter of interest, what version of Jitsi are you using? I had been using the latest (2014) nightly build (unstable) quite successfully but reverted to the latest stable build 2.10.5550 as I thought that might have been the problem. To be honest, I could not see much difference between the two so I think I’m going to stick with the stable build now.

I kind of dropped away from this one when I realized that the desktop is considered “legacy”. I believe the way is to now use https://meet.jit.si in the browser. So I never really followed through on this.

I find Jitsi Meet is excellent for some purposes but it is not very practical for casual social contact. First you have to set up the room. Then you have to e-mail the link to the party you want to talk to so there has to be an agreed time when you will be there to chat.

With the desktop version, you can just leave it running in the background and it will ring just like a telephone if someone tries to call you so there is no need for pre-arranged times.

Also, I have found that Jitsi Meet is fine as long as both parties have a good, fast fibre broadband connection but, if one party is on a slower or unreliable connection, it just does not work well. Audio is poor and video often will not work at all.

I am lucky to live in Uruguay now where there is fast direct fibre broadband but a lot of my friends in the UK are not so lucky and still don’t have direct fibre connections. The fibre cable terminates in the street cabinet and from there it is still copper wire (often very old) to their property so the connection quality is variable. Jitsi Meet just does not work for them but the desktop version works really well so I reckon it still has its uses.