Ubuntu and Debian Jitsi package fail to install

They have an additional dependency which force the user to add the Jitsi repo. This is not very user friendly. Please create a single package which install fine without the Jitsi repo.

I’m pretty sure there’s something I’m missing here, but I’m a bit confused: why/how would you install/run Jitsi without its repo?

He probably just wonders why Jitsi’s packages aren’t in Ubuntus’ and Debians’ main reps as opposed to how it is now where you have the extra step of adding a new rep.

What I mean: If you go to https://desktop.jitsi.org/Main/Download.html
There you have direct links to the package and a link to the description for adding the repo.

For example for the Ubuntu package: Ubuntu package (you can also use our ubuntu repository)

This leads to the assumption that it is enough to download and install the Ubuntu package. But it is not. This is annoying and confusing for the user.

Furthermore: If I just install the packages from the repo, but without the linked Ubuntu package, I have no client application, which I can use. I would expect that the jitsi-meet package comes with the client application. But since version 1595 the package seems to be empty. Please check this. I think this is a packaging bug.

As a user I would expect that either the installation of the linked package or the installation of the packages from the repo is enough.

@brmmm so if I get what you’re saying correctly, you’re expecting that downloading a package should automatically install and configure a server application for you? Where does that happen? You’re building a server application, not a client. You seem to be comparing this with downloading and installing a client application like Zoom.

Interestingly, the link you referenced takes you to the download page for the JITSI DESKTOP (CLIENT APPLICATION). This is not Jitsi Meet - this is the old chat application that’s been deprecated and is no longer officially supported (although members of the community provide unofficial support occasionally). And yes, that’s a package you can download and install, because it’s a client application. The repo is provided as an alternate way of installing, if you prefer to install via the command line. Jitsi Meet is different. It’s a server software that has dependencies, has options and needs configuration. You seem to be confusing the two. Most importantly, you should understand that Jitsi Desktop is (again) no longer officially supported.

I feel like you’re ranting without first taking the time to fully understand the different solutions. I could be wrong, but it seems like what you’re looking for is Jitsi Meet, the video conferencing server application. Jitsi desktop on the other hand, is a desktop client which you can use with any xmpp or sip server for chat and video calls. You just input the values for the xmpp or sip server you want to connect to and that’s it.

Then again, maybe I’m just completely wrong and I just don’t quite get what you’re bothered by…

Thanks for the clarification. I didn’t the difference of the two applications. I thought that Jitsi Meet is the Jitsi Desktop client.
But this takes me to the question: Is there any supported Desktop client available? I would need something with chat, (video) call and desktop sharing feature.

You can download the Jitsi Meet (Electron) Desktop client here.

1 Like

Thank you for the link.

Here is your answer https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=760485#54