Translators: Jitsi is string frozen.


#1

Hey all, especially translators,

We'd like to push a stable release by the end of the week. Nothing
major, mostly bug fixes here and there. We won't be doing any more
string changes until then so feel free to go ahead and translate your
languages if you'd like them to appear in the next stable release.

We'll push the new version on Monday morning (CET/UTC) so you have the
weekend to take care of this.

Cheers,
Emil


#2

Hey

I just finished the German translation, but cannot commit it:

Failed to commit file: [SVN] Error running SVN command '['svn', '-q', '--non-interactive', 'commit', '-m', u'Commit from translate.jitsi.org by user ibauersachs.: 1189 of 1189 messages translated (0 fuzzy).', '--with-revprop', u'translate:author=ibauersachs', '/home/pootle/Pootle/po/sip_communicator/resources_de.properties']': svn: Commit failed (details follow): svn: File or directory 'resources_de.properties' is out of date; try updating svn: resource out of date; try updating

Ingo

···

-----Original Message-----
From: Emil Ivov [mailto:emcho@jitsi.org]
Sent: Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2011 16:15
To: Jitsi Developers
Subject: [jitsi-dev] Translators: Jitsi is string frozen.

Hey all, especially translators,

We'd like to push a stable release by the end of the week. Nothing
major, mostly bug fixes here and there. We won't be doing any more
string changes until then so feel free to go ahead and translate your
languages if you'd like them to appear in the next stable release.

We'll push the new version on Monday morning (CET/UTC) so you have the
weekend to take care of this.

Cheers,
Emil


#3

Should be OK now. There are a couple of Strings that Seb added right
after my announcement though. Could you please have a look at those too?

All, please refrain from committing new strings until we have our stable
release out!

Thanks!
Emil

···

On 01.12.11 17:28, Bauersachs Ingo wrote:

Hey

I just finished the German translation, but cannot commit it:

Failed to commit file: [SVN] Error running SVN command '['svn', '-q', '--non-interactive', 'commit', '-m', u'Commit from translate.jitsi.org by user ibauersachs.: 1189 of 1189 messages translated (0 fuzzy).', '--with-revprop', u'translate:author=ibauersachs', '/home/pootle/Pootle/po/sip_communicator/resources_de.properties']': svn: Commit failed (details follow): svn: File or directory 'resources_de.properties' is out of date; try updating svn: resource out of date; try updating

Ingo

-----Original Message-----
From: Emil Ivov [mailto:emcho@jitsi.org]
Sent: Donnerstag, 1. Dezember 2011 16:15
To: Jitsi Developers
Subject: [jitsi-dev] Translators: Jitsi is string frozen.

Hey all, especially translators,

We'd like to push a stable release by the end of the week. Nothing
major, mostly bug fixes here and there. We won't be doing any more
string changes until then so feel free to go ahead and translate your
languages if you'd like them to appear in the next stable release.

We'll push the new version on Monday morning (CET/UTC) so you have the
weekend to take care of this.

Cheers,
Emil

--
Emil Ivov, Ph.D. 67000 Strasbourg,
Project Lead France
Jitsi
emcho@jitsi.org PHONE: +33.1.77.62.43.30
http://jitsi.org FAX: +33.1.77.62.47.31


#4

Hey Philip

Can you tell me about the amount of work involved in localizing Jitsi to yet
another language? Do you know about Finnish and
Swedish versions?

Well, I didn't start German from scratch. When I first looked at it, about 1/3 of the translations were missing and another third needed attention (suggestions by other users or the translation was outdated because the English original changed somewhat). It took me about a day to fix all that.
So based on that, you probably need two to three days for a complete translation. If you work offline with a translation tool, you might be a bit faster (our Pootle-Server is quite slow). It probably also depends on how well you speak English and know Jitsi's features.

Updates before doing a release usually take only a few minutes.

We can create the templates for Finnish and/or Swedish if you like to start working on it.

Regards,
Ingo

PS: Please write to the list so everyone can benefit :slight_smile:


#5

Thanks Ingo for useful feedback.

You wrote:

... you probably need two to three days for a complete translation

A commitment involving perhaps 3 to 4 workdays, is maybe little bit more than what I can afford right now. So I would need some
time to finish the effort. Are there other Swedish and/or Finnish speakers who would like to share the job with me?

Moreover:

If you work offline with a translation tool, you might be a bit faster (our Pootle-Server is quite slow).

What tools do you have in your mind? - Regards Philip


#6

Hey Philip

... you probably need two to three days for a complete translation

A commitment involving perhaps 3 to 4 workdays, is maybe little bit more than
what I can afford right now. So I would need some
time to finish the effort.

Nobody expects you to do this over the weekend :slight_smile:
The "call for translators" was simply meant to get existing languages up to date for the next stable/monthly release. So if you want to start translating - feel free to do this over some period of time.

Are there other Swedish and/or Finnish speakers
who would like to share the job with me?

Moreover:

If you work offline with a translation tool, you might be a bit faster
(our Pootle-Server is quite slow).

What tools do you have in your mind?

Well Pootle uses GNU gettext files (.po), so you might be able to use one the compatible tools. Wikipedia [1] names a few. I didn't use one, so I had nothing particular in mind.

Regards,
Ingo

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gettext


#7

Good news.
Unlike the 0.9 series PulseAudio, the 1.04 and 1.1 versions from the
Debian repos worked well for me (3 days of testing, no problems whatsoever).
Tested on 2 machines, one desktop and one laptop. On the laptop i tested
it also with bluetooth handsfree and it worked with no issues. Both
machines had Debian Testing (currently Wheezy) 32-bit installed with the
3.1-pae kernel with Xfce 4.8.
Promising.

If anyone else could test this, please do, it is quite important because
PulseAudio is the default for some high profile distros like Ubuntu.

···

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo


#8

I have pulseaudio 1.04 running in xfce 4.8 and have lots of issues
with my internal soundcard - not jitsi related. My external
usb-soundcard works nicely with jitsi. Will try the update to 1.1 and
new kernel 3.1 and report back.

Best,
Ulno

···

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 16:18, Kertesz Laszlo <laszlo.kertesz@gmail.com> wrote:

Good news.
Unlike the 0.9 series PulseAudio, the 1.04 and 1.1 versions from the
Debian repos worked well for me (3 days of testing, no problems whatsoever).
Tested on 2 machines, one desktop and one laptop. On the laptop i tested
it also with bluetooth handsfree and it worked with no issues. Both
machines had Debian Testing (currently Wheezy) 32-bit installed with the
3.1-pae kernel with Xfce 4.8.
Promising.

If anyone else could test this, please do, it is quite important because
PulseAudio is the default for some high profile distros like Ubuntu.

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

--
title+name: Dr. Ulrich Norbisrath
web: http://ulno.net; address+phone+fax: http://ulno.net/contact
google:unorbisrath@gmail.com; icq:46786247
mailto:ulno@ulno.net


#9

Hello,

You should check the internal card with ALSA only to see if the issues
are related to PulseAudio at all - this is anyway not the issue here, i
was referring only to the issues that were visible only with
PulseAudio+Jitsi (and not with ALSA+Jitsi):

On all computers i tried, Jitsi+PulseAudio 0.9.x exhibited unstable
behaviour - mostly the CPU usage went up to 100% (all CPUs were dual
core) and the sound quality went down (sever crackling). Sometimes only
the CPU hogging happened, but mostly both. Few calls were without these
problems and no config modifications in PulseAudios client.conf or
daemon.conf helped.

This happened with Ubuntus 9.04 and up, Debian Testing - Squeeze testing
up to Wheezy until PulseAudio 1.04 and then 1.1 appeared -
since then no issues. Note that i always used the latest testing build
of Jitsi, and the first build i tested recently with PulseAudio 1.x
installed was 3805 or 6 i think.

Note that none of the computers i used had any issues with their
soundcards with Jitsi with ALSA (or PulseAudio with other programs).

Ulrich Norbisrath wrote:

···

I have pulseaudio 1.04 running in xfce 4.8 and have lots of issues
with my internal soundcard - not jitsi related. My external
usb-soundcard works nicely with jitsi. Will try the update to 1.1 and
new kernel 3.1 and report back.

Best,
Ulno

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 16:18, Kertesz Laszlo <laszlo.kertesz@gmail.com> wrote:

Good news.
Unlike the 0.9 series PulseAudio, the 1.04 and 1.1 versions from the
Debian repos worked well for me (3 days of testing, no problems whatsoever).
Tested on 2 machines, one desktop and one laptop. On the laptop i tested
it also with bluetooth handsfree and it worked with no issues. Both
machines had Debian Testing (currently Wheezy) 32-bit installed with the
3.1-pae kernel with Xfce 4.8.
Promising.

If anyone else could test this, please do, it is quite important because
PulseAudio is the default for some high profile distros like Ubuntu.

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo


#10

The update of pulse and kernel solved my issues with the internal card
and the sip-connection set-up feels a little snappier in jitsi (still
mouse lags, but no temporary halt of system).

Ulno

···

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 17:53, Kertesz Laszlo <laszlo.kertesz@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

You should check the internal card with ALSA only to see if the issues
are related to PulseAudio at all - this is anyway not the issue here, i
was referring only to the issues that were visible only with
PulseAudio+Jitsi (and not with ALSA+Jitsi):

On all computers i tried, Jitsi+PulseAudio 0.9.x exhibited unstable
behaviour - mostly the CPU usage went up to 100% (all CPUs were dual
core) and the sound quality went down (sever crackling). Sometimes only
the CPU hogging happened, but mostly both. Few calls were without these
problems and no config modifications in PulseAudios client.conf or
daemon.conf helped.

This happened with Ubuntus 9.04 and up, Debian Testing - Squeeze testing
up to Wheezy until PulseAudio 1.04 and then 1.1 appeared -
since then no issues. Note that i always used the latest testing build
of Jitsi, and the first build i tested recently with PulseAudio 1.x
installed was 3805 or 6 i think.

Note that none of the computers i used had any issues with their
soundcards with Jitsi with ALSA (or PulseAudio with other programs).

Ulrich Norbisrath wrote:

I have pulseaudio 1.04 running in xfce 4.8 and have lots of issues
with my internal soundcard - not jitsi related. My external
usb-soundcard works nicely with jitsi. Will try the update to 1.1 and
new kernel 3.1 and report back.

Best,
Ulno

On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 16:18, Kertesz Laszlo <laszlo.kertesz@gmail.com> wrote:

Good news.
Unlike the 0.9 series PulseAudio, the 1.04 and 1.1 versions from the
Debian repos worked well for me (3 days of testing, no problems whatsoever).
Tested on 2 machines, one desktop and one laptop. On the laptop i tested
it also with bluetooth handsfree and it worked with no issues. Both
machines had Debian Testing (currently Wheezy) 32-bit installed with the
3.1-pae kernel with Xfce 4.8.
Promising.

If anyone else could test this, please do, it is quite important because
PulseAudio is the default for some high profile distros like Ubuntu.

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

--
O zi buna,
Kertesz Laszlo

--
title+name: Dr. Ulrich Norbisrath
web: http://ulno.net; address+phone+fax: http://ulno.net/contact
google:unorbisrath@gmail.com; icq:46786247
mailto:ulno@ulno.net