Topology network for jitsi

i have a question about how many user jitsi can handle in one time? and what topology network for handle that many user?
thanks all

Welcome to the forum.

On the public instance at meet.jit.si, there’s a limit of 100 participants per call, with the recommendation being to keep that number around 30-35 for the best performance. If you host your own server though, there’s no imposed limit beyond the resources you throw at it and the ability of client machines.

1 Like

oke thanks @Freddie , but did you know what topology network for 500 user if i used my own server? i have project for 500 user can connect to my server jitsi in one time
thanks

You would need to deploy multiple videobridges. Each videobridge can handle an average of 100 users at a time.

1 Like

oke, @Freddie did you know about specification for server to handle 100 user for 1 videobridges?

You should be fine with 4CPU/8GB RAM. Even 4GB RAM should work just fine.

1 Like

@Freddie thats specification for one server for videobridges? and if i want 500 user i need 5 server for video bridges right?

Correct.

1 Like

thanks for the information @Freddie , how i can use multiple videobridges? do you have some tutorial for me? how to build multiple videobridges?

Also have in mind that 500 users in the same room is still a long shot. You can tweak some configs, especially lastN, etc., but even with most cameras off, a max of 100-200 is more realistic. There is work being done on Jitsi to support very large conferences, but it’s not there yet.
You also have to consider that large calls load the browser more.
OTOH if you mean 500 people connected, but in different rooms, then yes this is OK and you just need a pool of Videobridges.

1 Like

oke thanks for reply @yasen . i have project for one moderator in one room and 500 user for join this room, what can i do in jitsi? and what OTOH? im not understand the means of OTOH
thanks

It depends whether the 500 users are non-speaking attendees or are meant to be active participants.

If they are just attending, your best option is to have the call only for the few speakers and stream it to all the others - for example with YouTube you can reach thousands. Of course, it can be your own RTMP server, if for any reason you want to avoid YouTube.

You can embed this stream and the live call in a page and add a common to both of them live text chat, there are 3rd party xmpp web chats. This way the stream watchers can participate through text chat.

If the attendees need to have the option to become speakers, you can have some hybrid solution, like the previous one, but when someone has to speak, the moderators allow him to enter the live room. This is just a minor variation of the previous option, when it’s all manual.

You may want to automate this and integrate it all in a web/mobile app, so that this switching to and from call/streaming is transparent to the user and the UI is almost the same etc, but you’ll need to program this.

Of these, the streaming is part of jitsi, all the other features and integrations you have to implement on your side.

1 Like

thanks @yasen for your reply. i have a question about multiple jvb and setup OCTO. Can i setup jvb and OCTO in local server? without connect to internet because i will install in my own server?

If you mean your JVB to not have a public IP while you are making the calls over Internet, it could be a problem. The clients need to be able to connect to the bridges, because that’s where all the media streams (camera, mic) go. So you have to use some NAT setup and pipe all the media through a TURN server - in any case it’s better to have the JVBs facing the Internet, with public addresses.

If you’ll use the platform from your local network only, I guess it’s possible. You just need SSL, but it may be self-signed; it just makes it more complex for the mobiles.

If by setup OCTO in local server you mean to have multiple JVBs in OCTO, all running on the same server - it will be hard to split the resources been the processes, but while technically it may be doable, it beats the purpose to load the same machine. Just use one JVB on that big machine, it will be better than have all the additional load from the processes, the signaling, etc. In JVB what you’re after is the network bandwidth - and with one machine that is a constant, no matter how many processes you run on it, its network is the same and you are just loading it.

oke @yasen . can you tell me what should i do if i have project for 500 user must be connect in one time, and i don’t have internet access because there are is in one building but different room. this project build because this condition thats corona virus in my country. please help me , i really newbie in jitsi

Nothing if these are all active participants.

If most of them are only listeners, Jitsi + livestreaming…

thanks for your reply @emrah