The given hostname does not exist in the config

I’m trying to install jitsi, and I see that many others have had the same issue, yet seem to have resolved it somehow. I am trying to install onto Linux Mint 18.04.

Below is the output of my configs:

user@server-meet:~ cat /etc/hostname server-meet.local.mesh user@K1BLU-meet:~ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 server-meet.local.mesh server-meet localhost

If I type another DNS resolvable hostname ( I did by accident) It will install without errors, but if I use this system hostname of “K1BLU-meet.local.mesh” I get the following error.

Setting up jitsi-meet-prosody (1.0.3969-1) …
The given hostname does not exist in the config
dpkg: error processing package jitsi-meet-prosody (–configure):
installed jitsi-meet-prosody package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

After each retry, I run the following command to start over and retry:

sudo apt-get purge jigasi jitsi-meet jitsi-meet-web-config jitsi-meet-prosody jitsi-meet-turnserver jitsi-meet-web jicofo jitsi-videobridge2
sudo apt-get install jitsi-meet -y

I’ve spent about 1.5 hours uninstalling, rebooting and reinstalling. Please help.

Thank you.

Installed successfully today,

Try use fresh install Ubuntu 18.04 (not mint) with installed apache web server then try again the quick install.

Thank You

I was facing the same issues using Debian 10. In the end, it was all related to the FQDN setting.

I followed the quick install guide and configured the FQDN at etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost mymachine.mydomain.com
127.0.1.1 mymachine

I tried and got the same error. Then uninstalled using apt-get purge and tried @sinichi19 suggestion, installing apache2 using:
apt-get install apache2

I got this error message:
Apr 20 06:57:10 mymachine apachectl[18144]: AH00558: apache2: Could not reliably determine the server’s fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1. Set the ‘ServerName’ directive globally to suppress this message

Hummm, my this is someway related! I double checked the notes and discovered I had missed one of the steps! I made sure to add the FQDN to the /etc/hostname plus add that change my /etc/hosts too:
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 mymachine mymachine.mydomain.com

I did a quit server restart. Then I did purge apache2, installed the apache2 again (got a similar message but with a FQDN in the output). Then run again: sudo apt-get install jitsi-meet -y

This time it worked without errors! I hope it helps!

I got my Let’s Encrypt certificate and got a message of: Nginx configured. So… I discovered Apache was not being used.

Setting the FQDN both at the hostname and hosts, was what solved the issue for me.

Best luck!

1 Like