Start using jitsi to implement video/audio communication with jitsi

Hello,

I want to start implementing video/audio communication with jitsi.
how should I start and what are requirements and topics that I should learn?

My goal is to implement an ios/Android application

Thanks

Take a look at the docs and there is an example project you can try:

Thank you,

I downloaded the sample.

I want to implement server-side too and apply the necessary changes. Should I study about any protocol or something else that help me to understand the jitsi platform?

What are the server-side changes you want?
Generally that is not needed, but if you want some change it is hard to give you some advice without information. There are multiple components involved prosody and jicofo used for signalling, jitsi-videobridge used for all the media routing between clients and is orchestrated by jicofo.

I want to implement a video/audio call application. Users can select another user to contact. Users should get permission from another user to start a call. Permission can be gotten from the server too. The duration of the call can be saved. Also, P2P call can be done with the application. An admin panel provides information about calls and the duration of the calls.

This is what I want to do

These are all things that are outside of jitsi-meet. The sdk and the iframeAPI everything is designed to be able to be embedded in another application and all user information passed using jwt token.

So my advice is:

• start with quick install, make sure it works with 2 and 3 participants(web and mobile) and using jitsi-meet App store or Playstore app.
  • You can start playing with the mobile sdk in your app make it so you can establish calls between people
  • now you can start looking at jwt and modify your deployment to be used using jwt, create your service that will create jwt tokens based on your other authentication system with users in your main app
  • implement requesting and passing jwt tokens in your app to the sdk

So there is no need at this stage to do any server-side changes, other than the configuration of your deployment (configuring jwt). After that you may want to enable some other stuff like inviting users from within the conference, you will need another service that can be queried from jitsi-meet … but again this is new service and jitsi-meet configuration and mobile tweaking outside sdk.

Thank you.

I just tested it by running the jitsi-meet-sdk-samples a few minutes ago.

So I can integrate it with other services, right?
how about P2P connection? for P2P can I use jitsi components? or it’s better to find another communicator or solution?

Do you suggest P2P for the application that I want to implement?
is it better to use a gateway like jitsi-video-bridge or not?

I don’t understand this?

I suppose the examples are using meet.jit.si, if you want your own customised service with your jwt tokens then you need your own deployment.

When there are two people in the room, by default they try to establish p2p communication if that is possible, or at least just use a relay server, without going through the bridge. But once there is a third one, everything goes through the bridge.

If you want just p2p an no option for conference calls … the only advantage of jitsi-meet will be the sdk, but you need to install a rather complex system and will not use its potential at all … it is your call.

I mean I can integerate videobridge and jitsi meet with other services.

Yes they are using meet.jit.si

so for adding jwt, I should change this project " https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet ", right? or by using jitsi meet api can be done?

Not sure what other services mean here?

No, you need a new deployment. Ubuntu machine, a real ip-address, a DNS entry for your host as a start and this https://jitsi.org/qi.

Thank you,

I’ll install it and ask other questions if I have

I installed jitsi-meet, prosody-trunk and jitsi-meet-tokens and it’s working with jwt.

I checked android sdk, in NAT64AddrInfoModule.java file, it uses nat64.jitsi.net. This address is to resolve the public IP address of devices in a private network, right?

I checked the console in the browser when I open jitsi-meet, It tries to make P2P connection. When there are two people in the room they try to establish p2p, right?

Yes.

Nope, it is explained here: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/902da8cc4f08a58c1e26b1e34e387a320409d99d/android/sdk/src/main/java/org/jitsi/meet/sdk/net/NAT64AddrInfoModule.java#L29

This is needed for ipv6 only devices.

1 Like