Standard Jitsi installation - no audio or video

(My previous post was deleted because it contained the full logs and a link to the site where you could debug it yourself - so unfortunately I have to double post this without the useful info)

This is the first time I setup Jitsi.

I’m running Ubuntu on a VPS.

I used the instructions on devops-guide-quickstart (I had to remove this link too), except that I already had a Let’s Ecrypt certificate installed and I slightly changed the nginx configuration for that because this VPS instance is also hosting other services. But besides that everything is setup as documented.

I noticed that when participants join the meeting there are no video or audio.

Unfortunately I am not allowed to post the errors (as that is considered spam). I also have to remove the link to the public instance as that is also considered spam. But please PM me then I will provide this details via a different channel.

Besides nginx everything else is the standard configuration out of the box. Any advise?

check that your certificate is actually used and you get a green lock in the url bar.

check connectivity

rename your logs to .txt extension and upload them with the appropriate button (up arrow)

The website (front-end) is using the correct certificate as expected.

Sorry, I cannot attach the log files (“new users cannot attach files”).

Now that you mention the certificates: One thing that I am very unsure about is if the internal communication between the components also require a Let’s Encrypt Certificate?

So in etc/prosody/conf.d I found:

VirtualHost "meet.***"
    authentication = "anonymous"
    ssl = {
        key = "/etc/prosody/certs/meet.***.key";
        certificate = "/etc/prosody/certs/meet.***.crt";
    }

Which is the default certificates, but my front-end (nginx) uses the Let’s Encrypt certificate which is at the different location. Could that cause this issue? I tried to point this also to the same certificate but with that settings it won’t even connect nevermind showing video (at least with this certificate users can use the chat feature). Not sure I am going through the wrong rabbit hole here and I am not sure how to troubleshoot this system.

your certificate is fine, don’t mess with internal certificates they are normally NOT to be replaced with external certificates.
Your web setup seems to have a problem, http-bind queries do not terminate - take a look at the web console of your browser. Post directly the snippet from your web server config managing this URL.

@gpatel-fr, maybe I was just tired last night, but when I was about to post my web configuration I noticed that I forgot to uncomment a few lines that I had commented prior to troubleshoot an nginx start up issue. I have 2 websites with conflicting nginx settings so now my configuration looks like this:

# Mozilla Guideline v5.4, nginx 1.17.7, OpenSSL 1.1.1d, intermediate configuration
ssl_protocols TLSv1.2 TLSv1.3;
ssl_ciphers ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384:ECDHE-ECDSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:ECDHE-RSA-CHACHA20-POLY1305:DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384;
ssl_prefer_server_ciphers off;
ssl_session_timeout 1d;
#ssl_session_cache shared:SSL:10m;  # about 40000 sessions <-- The conflicting setting
ssl_session_tickets off;
add_header Strict-Transport-Security "max-age=63072000" always;

With this setup everything seems to be working fine now. I am very happy now and will test it a bit later with more users. Thank you very much for your support. Really appreciated!