SSL in jitsi-docker

Hi Team,

how can i configure a SSL certificate in the jitsi-docker containers?

Best regards,
Rouven.

The SSL support in the Docker setup is limited to 2 options currently:

• Self-signed: should only be used for testing
  • Let’s Encrypt: it’s automagic once configured

If you setup is different you can setup SSL on your own container / VM and proxy the traffic via HTTP to the Docker setup.

So i cant setup with a SSL certificate i have already for another website?

No, sorry. You can use another container with it, and then proxy via HTTP to our web container.

ok thanks

Hi, I have solve the issue by putting the certificates in the folder “/config/keys” on docker container web.
So, just replace “cert.crt” and “cert.key” with your own and restart nginx.

Works perfect for me.

1 Like

Thank you.

I got the docker-compose stuff up very very fast! But the Android app won’t connect without trusted certificates, so I set up my .env file for “letsencrypt” configuration. I thought I rebuilt things from scratch but jitsi was still using the self-signed jitsi.org certificate, although I saw a certificate in the letsencrypt directory now.

So I replaced cert.crt and cert.key with symlinks to the letsencrypt certificates and restarted nginx. Works great now and Android app is happy.

It is not very clean, but here is what I have done to make it work:

• activate let’s encrypt in the .env
  • comment the j2 lines in /web/rootfs/defaults/ssl.conf and replaced {{ .Env.LETSENCRYPT_DOMAIN }} by the domain

#ssl certs
#{{ if .Env.ENABLE_LETSENCRYPT | default “0” | toBool }}
ssl_certificate /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain/fullchain.pem;
ssl_certificate_key /etc/letsencrypt/live/mydomain/privkey.pem;
#{{ else }}
#ssl_certificate /config/keys/cert.crt;
#ssl_certificate_key /config/keys/cert.key;
#{{ end }}

1 Like

Could you please tell me exactly where you put these certificates? I have a situation where I got them for a pure nginx operation, and they work for my domain, but the Let’s Encrypt within the docker container will not work. Apparently there is a limit to five attempts per week with Let’s Encrypt and I’ve tried many more times than that. So if you could tell me exactly which directory you put them in, within the docker container it would be most useful. Thx. J

Hi, I had the same problem today. I already have Lets Encrypt certs from my nginx proxy setup. This is what I did, which @SOlangsam already mentioned.
I added two volumes in docker-compose.yml under the web service that points to my existing certs. It looks like this:
- [local path to existing cert]:/config/keys/cert.crt
- [local path to existing key]:/config/keys/cert.key

Hope this helps somebody!

3 Likes

I have a domain say - abc.def.com,
then, {{ .Env.LETSENCRYPT_DOMAIN }} should be replaced by what?