Some-one tried to use JITSI to 'call' someone like with Whatsapp?

Hi,

Someone here that built features in/on top of Jitsi/app to be able to call someone? So a push model instead of a pull? That should push notification on some-ones phone that someone is trying to call him/her with the possibility to pick up or deny?
Would like to see if we can build that. Thought I previously read some other threads on this with people that did that, but can not find it anymore.
Any pointers/tips/experiences would be very welcome!

Regards,
Rick

Anyone? @saghul any ideas?

There is a functionality added to jitsi-meet but we never used it, it is combination of implementing these hooks to reach your outside service that is responsible for all notifications/pushes and etc. https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/resources/prosody-plugins/ext_events.lib.lua
And the poltergiest module, which makes possible for creating a dummy participants that has information of the id (taken from the jwt) of the participant you are calling and when that participant enters the meeting the thumbnail is reused.
But basically these are the hooks and you need to implement all the external logic about notifying participants.

Thanks!
You know of any example implementation that someone else did/tried?
The external service being something like firebase you mean?

Regards,
Rick

What about using the “dial-out” function and call someone on his phone from the meeting?
That person could then quickly join the video chat if needed…

@Normand_Nadon I think Rick means to send out a notification to e.g the mobile app where the participant can join/reject joining the video call. Calling someone asking them to join the videochat would a cumbersome workflow for inexperienced users.

I think this question is similar to something reported a while ago Push notification on mobile .
@damencho Your reply in that topic is similar to your suggestion you are providing now. Did anything change between then and now? (as this question was asked in 2018)

I would also be curious if anyone managed to get this working.

Yep, nothing has changed. Back in 2018 there was one app that was using that, the app was called Stride. Now that app no longer exist and that code has not been used from us since then.