[SOLVED] Jibri won't record [Failed to send start Jibri IQ]

Had to uninstall my previously working full installation (Jitsi + Jibri) and then reinstall. However, now, Jibri won’t record. I get a “Failed to send start Jibri IQ” error (Jicofo log).

Jicofo 2020-09-21 01:36:53.330 SEVERE: [35] org.jitsi.jicofo.recording.jibri.JibriSession.log() Unexpected status received in response to the start IQ:
Jicofo 2020-09-21 01:36:53.332 SEVERE: [35] org.jitsi.jicofo.recording.jibri.JibriSession.log() Failed to send start Jibri IQ: org.jitsi.jicofo.recording.jibri.JibriSession$StartException: Unexpected response

I don’t get any log at all for Jibri (which makes me wonder if there’s a permission issue somewhere). Jibri status check shows active, but has an interesting error:

Any help on what I could be doing wrong?

Any help, anyone?

Sent you a PM.

This could be Jibri timing out and not sending a response (can’t tell for sure from that snippet), it can happen if the page loading takes a long time.

@bbaldino, it fails immediately though - as soon as I click recording, I get the “can’t start recording” error message.

Here’s my full jicofo log attached:

jicofo.log (165.8 KB)

Looks like there was an error on the Jibri side, you sure you don’t see any logs on Jibri?

Jicofo 2020-09-21 01:18:25.839 SEVERE: [35] org.jitsi.jicofo.recording.jibri.JibriSession.log() Unexpected status received in response to the start IQ: <iq to='focus@auth.live.conference.com/focus27068662609551' from='jibribrewery@internal.auth.live.conference.com/jibri-nickname' id='4i3NG-138' type='result'><jibri xmlns='http://jitsi.org/protocol/jibri' status='off' failure_reason='error' should_retry='true'/></iq>

No, nothing at all - which is really weird. The Jibri log folder doesn’t even exist at all. Which is why I’m thinking maybe I have a permission issue somewhere. Could be a remnant from my previous uninstall.

Can you please tell me what the owner and permissions are for the/var/log/jitsi/ and /var/log/jitsi/jibri/ folders? Perhaps that’s where the issue is.

Make sure the jibri user has access to write to them.

When does that jibri log folder get created - on install or when there’s a jibri event? Wondering if I should create it manually.

On install

Ah, something went wrong then. Ok, I’ll create it and see if that helps. Will report back. Thanks.

@bbaldino, turns out I was right - it was indeed a permissions error. Created the jibri folder manually and granted jibri access; boom, problem solved!

Thanks so much!