[Solved] Jibri failed to start

Hi there, I know this topic has been treated in several trends, but I’m really frustrated because after days of surfing, reinstalling, reconfiguring, etc; I cannot be able to make Jibri works.

I installed JMS in Google Cloud and it works fine. I tried to install Jibri in a separated virtual machine following the instructions from https://github.com/jitsi/jibri but when I tried to start Jibri service it failed.

If it’s useful: I installed Jibri on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (the image provided by GCP), I already installed Java 8 and configure /opt/jitsi/jibri/launch.sh to start with that Java version. That file is: launch.sh.txt (254 Bytes)
Jibri is in the following groups [cat /etc/group | grep jibri]:

adm:x:4:syslog,ubuntu,alavideoconferencias,jibri
audio:x:29:ubuntu,alavideoconferencias,jibri
video:x:44:ubuntu,alavideoconferencias,jibri
plugdev:x:46:ubuntu,alavideoconferencias,jibri
jitsi:x:1003:jibri
jibri:x:999:jibri

This is my jibri.conf file: jibri.txt (3.1 KB)

Jibri log only show me one line:

2020-10-02 20:31:18.465 INFO: [1] org.jitsi.jibri.Main.handleCommandLineArgs() Jibri run with args [--config, /etc/jitsi/jibri/config.json]

With that message I thought that maybe it could be an issue related with the abcense of a “config.json” file in /etc/jits/jibri, so I created that file and write basically the same configuration data as in jibri.conf. There is the file if anyone want to chek it out: config.txt (3.0 KB)

The jibri-xorg status is active, no issue there.
The jibri-icewm status is also active.

Jibri service error message:

I really don’t know where the error can be.
Please, help!

It’s very strange for that to be the only thing in the logs. You don’t need to have config.json if you have jibri.conf, btw (and it would be better if you went back to removing it). At the very least you should also see something like “INFO: [1] org.jitsi.jibri.Main.setupLegacyConfig() Checking legacy config file”. Is it possible the logs are getting truncated? Is there enough disk space?

Sure, 10Gb of space, 4 CPUs, 16Gb RAM.

I installed Jibri following the official guide https://github.com/jitsi/jibri#jibri
After installation the file jibri.conf was empty. It could be an issue with the Jitsi repo deb https://download.jitsi.org stable/ ?

I don’t know, I’m just trowing some rocks here :stuck_out_tongue:

No, jibri.conf is supposed to be empty (except for jibri {}) by default. Maybe try launching jibri on your own (instead of through the service)?

How can I do that?

Take a look at launch.sh

ok, run launch.sh and it show me this message:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at org.jitsi.jibri.MainKt.handleCommandLineArgs(Main.kt:184)
        at org.jitsi.jibri.MainKt.main(Main.kt:52)
Caused by: com.typesafe.config.ConfigException$Parse: /etc/jitsi/jibri/jibri.conf: 20: List should have ended with ] or had a comma, instead had token: '=' (if you want '=' to be part of a string value, then double-quote it)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseError(ConfigDocumentParser.java:201)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseError(ConfigDocumentParser.java:197)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseArray(ConfigDocumentParser.java:586)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseValue(ConfigDocumentParser.java:249)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.consolidateValues(ConfigDocumentParser.java:152)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseObject(ConfigDocumentParser.java:473)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseValue(ConfigDocumentParser.java:247)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseObject(ConfigDocumentParser.java:458)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseValue(ConfigDocumentParser.java:247)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parseObject(ConfigDocumentParser.java:458)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser$ParseContext.parse(ConfigDocumentParser.java:648)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigDocumentParser.parse(ConfigDocumentParser.java:14)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.Parseable.rawParseValue(Parseable.java:262)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.Parseable.rawParseValue(Parseable.java:250)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.Parseable.parseValue(Parseable.java:180)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.Parseable.parseValue(Parseable.java:174)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.Parseable.parse(Parseable.java:301)
        at com.typesafe.config.ConfigFactory.parseFile(ConfigFactory.java:790)
        at com.typesafe.config.DefaultConfigLoadingStrategy.parseApplicationConfig(DefaultConfigLoadingStrategy.java:51)
        at com.typesafe.config.ConfigFactory.defaultApplication(ConfigFactory.java:529)
        at com.typesafe.config.ConfigFactory$1.call(ConfigFactory.java:261)
        at com.typesafe.config.ConfigFactory$1.call(ConfigFactory.java:258)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigImpl$LoaderCache.getOrElseUpdate(ConfigImpl.java:66)
        at com.typesafe.config.impl.ConfigImpl.computeCachedConfig(ConfigImpl.java:93)
        at com.typesafe.config.ConfigFactory.load(ConfigFactory.java:258)
        at com.typesafe.config.ConfigFactory.load(ConfigFactory.java:234)
        at org.jitsi.jibri.config.Config.<clinit>(Config.kt:26)

Maybe is an error in /etc/jitsi/jibri/jibri.conf?

Well. effectively, it was an error in my jibri.conf :crazy_face:

Glad you found it…failure behavior could definitely be improved here.

1 Like