[Solved] Help needed to get pure p2p connection

Hello respected devs and community members,

I need a little help on how to enable pure p2p connections.

For now, when I have 2 devices on the same private network, pure p2p works flawlessly, e.g., local IP 192.168.1.111, remote IP 192.168.1.112, and I get high quality low latency video.

But when I tried to connect a device using mobile data to a PC on my home network, I always get p2p (turn) connections. Although I have public IP address on my router, and I have forwarded TCP port 4443 and UDP port 10000 to my PC, and disabled the firewall on my PC as well.

Can someone shed some light as to what is really needed to enable a pure p2p connection?

Thanks!

You should be forwarding port 443.

Just to make sure I understand it correctly:

One of the participants has to have an accessible 443 port, in order to get pure p2p?
Other ports do not matter in this case?

Perhaps I’m not understanding you clearly: are you talking about meet.jit.si or your own Jitsi server?

I am using meet.jit.si.

Indeed, I didn’t quite understand you clearly. If you’re connecting on meet.jit.si, you don’t need to forward any port(s). Unless you have specifically blocked certain ports, there is no need for any port configuration on your clients. If you’re behind a restrictive firewall (that blocks port 10000), then the connection falls back to turn.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer! Much appreciated!

One last question: when you were talking about a restrictive firewall, I am not quite sure what you were referring to. Did you mean a firewall that blocks outgoing traffic on port 10000? (Since most firewall will block incoming traffic by default, I assumed that you did not mean that)

Either/both. Media is transmitted over port 10000/UDP by default. If you have a firewall that blocks that port (some corporate firewalls do), then media can’t travel either way through the port. If you videoconferencing, you need to receive as well as send media. That’s why the fallback (TURN redirecting to 443) is deployed in such instances.

1 Like

Understood! Thank you!