[SOLVED] Disabling chat notification/toasts and disabling chat sounds

Hi all,

Just started using the Jitsi Meet iFrame API for the first time, I’m struggling to work out how to disable the notification popups whenever a message is shown. I thought it was the last argument boolean that determined whether the notification was shown, like this:

api.executeCommand('sendChatMessage', 'message body, '', true);

but this doesn’t have any effect unfortunately. Likewise, to disable the chat sounds, I thought the options object had to be configured like this:

disabledSounds: ['INCOMING_MSG_SOUND']

but this also doesn’t seem to have an effect. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

No, that last parameter is to control whether a notification / dialog that shows up when replying to a message for the first time (in order to avoid sending it public in you didn’t mean to).

That’s correct, how did you specify this?

For notifications you can override this config, setting it to the list of notifications you are interested in: jitsi-meet/config.js at c23d38807ad8332d56f1aa76af71b09100418a89 · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub

1 Like

I’ve removed my previous post as I’ve just worked out where I was going wrong. I was executing the overwrite after jitsi was initialised, when I should have been including the overwrites in the original options object like this:

const options = {
    roomName: 'myProject',
    width: '100%',
    height: '100%',
    parentNode: container,
    lang: 'en',
    configOverwrite: {
        prejoinPageEnabled: false,
        disabledSounds: ['INCOMING_MSG_SOUND'],
        notifications: [''],
        toolbarButtons: ['microphone', 'camera', 'closedcaptions', 'desktop', 'fullscreen', 'hangup', 'settings', 'tileview']
    },
    userInfo: {
        displayName: 'myName',
    }
};

api = new JitsiMeetExternalAPI('meet.jit.si', options);

Thanks @saghul for your help!

1 Like

By the way @saghul, I’ve included ‘closedcaptions’ in the toolbarButtons array here, but is this a feature that’s available on Jitsi Meet? Or is this only available as part of the paid JAAS offering from 8x8?

It’s available on any Jitsi Meet installation so long as there is a transcriber available. We don’t provide those on meet.jit.si due to the cost.

Is there a way I can enable the button and have it link up to my own code? I’m using the speech recognition browser API currently but it would be nice to have all of the controls integrated into the iframe.

Check this out: jitsi-meet/config.js at 5152638529228441cac1e385aca7c0d45bcd30e3 · jitsi/jitsi-meet · GitHub