Smartphone overheating

Hello,
We have developped a video course application for students.
The “classroom” is composed with 1 teacher and 1 to 4 students.
The student can follow the course with a smartphone placed on a wooden support suitable for filming a sheet of paper.
Some smartphones overheat enormously and are not able to withstand a class lasting 50 minutes.

Here are my questions about it:

• Are there smartphone brands known for overheating in video with Jitsi?
    I read in a post from another forum that Jitsi uses Video VP8/VP9 codecs.
    Are the chips of smartphones that do not use these Codecs likely to heat up more?
  • We do not use the Jitsi application but the Jitsi session takes place in a browser:
    • Are overheating, battery usage less important with the Jitsi application compared to a browser?
    • What is the recommended smartphone browser for Jitsi?

Thank you for your answers.

Best regards,

Hugues Malherbe

VP9 uses more processing power than VP8, so chances of overheating are a bit higher using VP9. I seem to recall having a smoother experience using the mobile app, rather than a mobile browser when I tested a while back. The app is generally optimized to impose less demand on the device, so it makes sense that it would draw less power. For instance, resolution on the app used to be capped at 360p (not certain if this is still the case), whereas the mobile browser does not have that limitation. Higher resolution equals greater resource demand, which equals more energy used and ultimately, more energy (heat) dissipated.

1 Like