First of all merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!
As you all know we have just released our alpha1 release! This is
really an extraordinary moment in the history of the project because
even though it is merely an alpha version it is the first ever official
release of SIP Communicator (pre1.0 versions never had a release)!
Since the day it started out SIP Communicator has changed from an
insignificant student project, to a full-blown application with a real
community around it. I would therefore like to thank all contributors
that participated in the development, deployment and testing of SIP
Communicator. Needless to say - without you, this would never have
happened (and I could hardly mean this more). Thank you all, and I hope
you had as much fun working on the project as I had working with you!
Now here's a bit about the status of SIP Communicator:
As of the alpha1 release we roughly have:
* Support for instant messaging and presence with Jabber, ICQ and MSN
* Support for 1-to-1 audio calls with SIP (this one is still shaky
but we will be stabilizing it)
* In addition to the codecs supported by JMF we also have ilbc,
pcma, and almost complete (but already usable) support for speex.
* A very rich and beautiful user interface
* Support for a meta contact list that allows merging contacts from
different protocols into a single meta contact
* Message and call history.
* Installation packages for Debian, Fedora, Linux in general, Mac
OS X and Windows, as well as a fully functional Debian repository.
... and many others that you would discover while using the
The next release, alpha2, should take considerably less time to complete
than alpha1, and it would include:
* stable support for 1-to-1 Audio and Video calls
* transparent usage of IPv6 and IPv4 - use IPv6 as seamlessly as possible and with no extra configuration at all.
* control and notification through a systray icon.
* reliable firewall traversal with support for STUN, TURN and ICE
Depending on how long it takes, other features are also likely to find their through.
Thank you all for staying with us all along, and once again merry Christmas and a happy new year!
To unsubscribe, e-mail: email@example.com
For additional commands, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org