[sip-comm] Problem with media streams under IPv6

Dear SIP Communicator users,

in earlier postings on the SIP Communicator Users Mailing List some problems with SIP INVITE when running the UA on an IPv6 Stack were reported. They seem to be fixed. Actually, I am trying to run SIP Communicator over IPv6 in my lab now, using the SER SIP Proxy and two SIP Communicator agents on LINUX.

Everything runs perfectly on IPv4. On IPv6, the SIP signalling also succeeds (no more problems with the INVITE). However, I get the following exception subsequently:

···

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following exception occurred while trying to open media connection:
Session 0 failed to start transmitting.

net.java.sip.communicator.media.MediaException: Session 0 failed to start transmitting.
    at net.java.sip.communicator.media.AVTransmitter.createTransmitter(AVTransmitter.java:452)

at net.java.sip.communicator.media.AVTransmitter.start(AVTransmitter.java:144)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.media.MediaManager.startTransmitter(MediaManager.java:504)

at net.java.sip.communicator.media.MediaManager.openMediaStreams(MediaManager.java:434)

at net.java.sip.communicator.SipCommunicator.callStateChanged(SipCommunicator.java:720)

at net.java.sip.communicator.sip.Call.fireCallStatusChangedEvent(Call.java:250)

at net.java.sip.communicator.sip.Call.setState(Call.java:156)
    at net.java.sip.communicator.sip.CallProcessing.processAck(CallProcessing.java:559)

at net.java.sip.communicator.sip.SipManager.processRequest(SipManager.java:1472)

at gov.nist.javax.sip.EventScanner.run(EventScanner.java:215)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a consequence, I do not get any audio. The session can also be terminated correctly, so it seems the problem is rather in the RTP on IPv6 (resp. the audio negotiation?).

Did anybody encounter similar problems over IPv6? And do you have any hint what could be the reason for the audio failure in my environment (JMF should be fine, as audio works perfectly on IPv4) ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greetings,

Eckhart

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hello Eckhart,

You should put your IPv6 address against your host name in the /etc/hosts file.

e.g.
2001:606::8dff:fe5f:cd7e eckhartsbox.fh-mannheim.de eckhartsbox

Hope this helps
Cheers
Emil

Prof. Dr. Eckhart Koerner wrote:

···

Dear SIP Communicator users,

in earlier postings on the SIP Communicator Users Mailing List some problems with SIP INVITE when running the UA on an IPv6 Stack were reported. They seem to be fixed. Actually, I am trying to run SIP Communicator over IPv6 in my lab now, using the SER SIP Proxy and two SIP Communicator agents on LINUX.

Everything runs perfectly on IPv4. On IPv6, the SIP signalling also succeeds (no more problems with the INVITE). However, I get the following exception subsequently:

The following exception occurred while trying to open media connection:
Session 0 failed to start transmitting.

net.java.sip.communicator.media.MediaException: Session 0 failed to start transmitting.
   at net.java.sip.communicator.media.AVTransmitter.createTransmitter(AVTransmitter.java:452)

at net.java.sip.communicator.media.AVTransmitter.start(AVTransmitter.java:144)
   at net.java.sip.communicator.media.MediaManager.startTransmitter(MediaManager.java:504)

at net.java.sip.communicator.media.MediaManager.openMediaStreams(MediaManager.java:434)

at net.java.sip.communicator.SipCommunicator.callStateChanged(SipCommunicator.java:720)

at net.java.sip.communicator.sip.Call.fireCallStatusChangedEvent(Call.java:250)

at net.java.sip.communicator.sip.Call.setState(Call.java:156)
   at net.java.sip.communicator.sip.CallProcessing.processAck(CallProcessing.java:559)

at net.java.sip.communicator.sip.SipManager.processRequest(SipManager.java:1472)

at gov.nist.javax.sip.EventScanner.run(EventScanner.java:215)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

As a consequence, I do not get any audio. The session can also be terminated correctly, so it seems the problem is rather in the RTP on IPv6 (resp. the audio negotiation?).

Did anybody encounter similar problems over IPv6? And do you have any hint what could be the reason for the audio failure in my environment (JMF should be fine, as audio works perfectly on IPv4) ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greetings,

Eckhart