[sip-comm] Issues with alpha-3 on Mac

I've tried your alpha-3 release on my Intel Mac (OS X 10.5.1, Java 1.5.0_13), and I had a few problems with it. Here are my comments:

Download DMG, start application to try it out: crashes without error message or anything (are you trying to write into the .app bundle rather than writing to ~/Library/Preferences/...?)

Account Registration Wizard: trying to register, Apple-V doesn't work.

Trying to make a call to a +44 number via my account on sipphone.com.
Connection failed, but not before I've seen some strange sounds on top of a normal "calling" tone. It also ays "Incoming Call", which is confusing!
After saying "ok" in the error message, my speaker keeps outputting unpleasant noises.

Let's try to dial again - but the call history is empty. I would expect to find my number in there!

Trying to configure the program, but the only menu I can find is "SIP Communicator", and it's empty. Apps should have menu bars on the Mac... It only takes a parameter setting for a Java program to move the menus from the window to the menu bar.

In the Account Registration Wizard (why a wizard? I'm not used to wizards on the Mac, and we're in the Preferences dialog, where I wouldn't expect a wizard!), under Avanced Options, there's a Registrar field, but I can't enter anything, even if "override server defaults" is selected (it's unclear what that means, since I haven't told it what my SIP server could be - which server does it refer to?)

Even with the proxy set, I can't get the connection to work. In the error message, it says "... Server:.", suggesting that there is no server set. But where do I set it?

When I went back to the Preferences (the wizard), the "override server default options" had magically unchecked itself.

OK, enough playing around - I hope my notes help you improve the program!

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi David,

thanks for reporting these! We'll have a look and will let you know when we have some fixes.

Regards,
Yana

David Reitter wrote:

···

I've tried your alpha-3 release on my Intel Mac (OS X 10.5.1, Java 1.5.0_13), and I had a few problems with it. Here are my comments:

Download DMG, start application to try it out: crashes without error message or anything (are you trying to write into the .app bundle rather than writing to ~/Library/Preferences/...?)

Connection failed, but not before I've seen some strange sounds on top of a normal "calling" tone. It also ays "Incoming Call", which is confusing!
After saying "ok" in the error message, my speaker keeps outputting unpleasant noises.

Let's try to dial again - but the call history is empty. I would expect to find my number in there!

Trying to configure the program, but the only menu I can find is "SIP Communicator", and it's empty. Apps should have menu bars on the Mac... It only takes a parameter setting for a Java program to move the menus from the window to the menu bar.

In the Account Registration Wizard (why a wizard? I'm not used to wizards on the Mac, and we're in the Preferences dialog, where I wouldn't expect a wizard!), under Avanced Options, there's a Registrar field, but I can't enter anything, even if "override server defaults" is selected (it's unclear what that means, since I haven't told it what my SIP server could be - which server does it refer to?)

Even with the proxy set, I can't get the connection to work. In the error message, it says "... Server:.", suggesting that there is no server set. But where do I set it?

When I went back to the Preferences (the wizard), the "override server default options" had magically unchecked itself.

OK, enough playing around - I hope my notes help you improve the program!

Hi David,

Thank you for taking some time to report the problems on this list. Some replies inline.

Do you execute Sip Communicator directly from the DMG? You have to copy it first to the application directory, because, as you guessed, some things are written in the .app.

When I made the MacOSX package, I tried to modify at the minimum the SC code to avoid as much as possible macosx-dependent code. That partly explain this behaviour.

Are you talking about keyboard shortcut? Yes at the moment integration of SC in MacOSX is not completed yet, so the Apple key connot be used for shortcuts.

Not sure if this is related specifically to MacOSX or not. Could you give more info on that in a separate thread? The exceptions from the java console would help us a lot (Application -> Utilities -> Console).

Maybe the number is not remembered upon a connection failure? I think Yana might tell us more about that.

Yes, the integration of SC in macosx is far from being perfect. The GUI is not adapted to the MacOSX look&feel. We plan to improve it in the future :slight_smile:

In the Account Registration Wizard (why a wizard? I'm not used to wizards on the Mac, and we're in the Preferences dialog, where I wouldn't expect a wizard!),
under Avanced Options, there's a Registrar field, but I can't enter anything, even if "override server defaults" is selected

Are you talking about the SIP registration? Jabber registration?
Which version are you using? It works on mine for all of theses (using a build from December 18th).

(it's unclear what that means, since I haven't told it what my SIP server could be - which server does it refer to?)

If you do not enter anything here, some information retrieved from your ID are used for the registrar.

If you can catch some exceptions from the console, that would be really helpful.

Thank you again for using SIP Communicator and your feedback!

Cheers,
Romain

···

On 2007/12/16, at 22:53, David Reitter wrote: