[sip-comm-dev] Video test H264 Windows/Linux

Hi,

Here is a little video of a H264 test. Laptop (Windows Vista 32-bit) is the sender and desktop (Linux GNU/Linux Debian x86_64) is the receiver. Note this is an enhanced version of SC with small tweaks in video encoder (hopefully the patch will be soon in trunk if all goes well and if stable enought).

http://clarinet.u-strasbg.fr/~vincent/test_windows_linux.mpg

Enjoy!

Regards,

···

--
Seb

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi Seb,

The video looks cool! Congratulations!

Last night I ran a few more tests with the latest of trunk (i.e. without the patch you sent me earlier) between Linux and Windows. The two machines have displays with different resolutions (as you probably remember from our recent chat) and I have the feeling that when I stream from the one with the higher resolution to the one with the lower resolution the image quality is noticeably worse, I guess because of scaling at the receiver. Additionally, it seems to me that the video is always blurry (regardless of the resolutions of the sender and the receiver), especially the text is hardly readable. I presume part of the blurring is because my fonts are small. But is it possible that the blurring is inherent to H.264 compressing at low quality or in one pass (because of the streaming, of course)? If you've already seen it, do you have any ideas with respect to bettering the image quality?

Regards,
Lubo

···

On 02/03/2010 12:05 PM, Sebastien Vincent wrote:

Hi,

Here is a little video of a H264 test. Laptop (Windows Vista 32-bit) is the sender and desktop (Linux GNU/Linux Debian x86_64) is the receiver. Note this is an enhanced version of SC with small tweaks in video encoder (hopefully the patch will be soon in trunk if all goes well and if stable enought).

Enjoy!

Regards,

Hi Seb,

The video looks cool! Congratulations!

Last night I ran a few more tests with the latest of trunk (i.e. without the patch you sent me earlier) between Linux and Windows. The two machines have displays with different resolutions (as you probably remember from our recent chat) and I have the feeling that when I stream from the one with the higher resolution to the one with the lower resolution the image quality is noticeably worse, I guess because of scaling at the receiver.

Yes, to solve this, we should resize video with preserving ratio to receiver desktop screen size on receiver side if video resolution is bigger that screen resolution.

Additionally, it seems to me that the video is always blurry (regardless of the resolutions of the sender and the receiver), especially the text is hardly readable. I presume part of the blurring is because my fonts are small. But is it possible that the blurring is inherent to H.264 compressing at low quality or in one pass (because of the streaming, of course)? If you've already seen it, do you have any ideas with respect to bettering the image quality?

Yes, the quality is not as good as it could be. I am close to commit the optimized patch but I just need to run some tests with webcam to ensure it have good quality too.

Regards,

···

On 03/02/2010 11:11, Lubomir Marinov wrote:
--
Seb

Regards,
Lubo

On 02/03/2010 12:05 PM, Sebastien Vincent wrote:

Hi,

Enjoy!

Regards,