[sip-comm-dev] usability project - target users and personas

Hi together,

my name is Jan and I support Fabiana in the Season of Usability project for the SIP-Communicator. Fabiana posted a sketch of the project plan, which was commented by Emil. There is one crucial point there where I want to make a suggestion.

. Expected Users

Is this a trick question? The entire planet of course! :slight_smile:

It is very difficult if not impossible to make software perfectly usable for everyone. And talking about "the user" can be misleading because everybody uses the same term but has someone else in mind.
As we did for the GIMP project and many others, "Personas" are a very good tool to focus on possible (fictive) users and organize the usability work around that.

Personas are fictive personalities that you make up based on the target users you have in mind, and give them as much properties, constraints, desires, capabilities and context information that is relevant for SIP-Communicator. A typical number of personas is 3. You have one primary persona, and two secondary. Collecting data can e.g. come from market research data (what users are using VoIP? Skype?; Number of buddies in a list, etc.).

What we gain then are users we can talk about, that are partially based on real data, and we can say: this is the user we want to make happy, and those are the users whom we want to use our software.

More information about personas can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personas and here: http://tina-t.blogspot.com/2005/06/personas-part-1.html

My suggestion is that fabiana and me are working on a first sketch of the personas. We will outline them in the wiki and change them according to your feedback until we agree on them.

So long,
Jan

路路路

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hey Jan,

Personally, I wasn't aware of the existence of the "Personas" method
before Fabiana told me yesterday that that's what you were planning to
do next. I can clearly see the advantages of this approach and what I
like even more is that in addition to their use in work on usability,
such Personas are also going to help us a lot with project planning and
assigning issue priorities (which was mostly done on a quite arbitrary
basis so far).

Collecting data can e.g. come from market research data (what users
are using VoIP? Skype?; Number of buddies in a list, etc.).

Do you have an idea as to where we could find such data? Are you aware of sources that offer such statistics available publicly?

My suggestion is that fabiana and me are working on a first sketch of
the personas. We will outline them in the wiki and change them according to your feedback until we agree on them.

OK great! Looking forward to it!

Emil

Jan Muehlig wrote:

路路路

Hi together,

my name is Jan and I support Fabiana in the Season of Usability project for the SIP-Communicator. Fabiana posted a sketch of the project plan, which was commented by Emil. There is one crucial point
there where I want to make a suggestion.

. Expected Users

Is this a trick question? The entire planet of course! :slight_smile:

It is very difficult if not impossible to make software perfectly usable for everyone. And talking about "the user" can be misleading
because everybody uses the same term but has someone else in mind. As we did for the GIMP project and many others, "Personas" are a very
good tool to focus on possible (fictive) users and organize the usability work around that.

Personas are fictive personalities that you make up based on the target users you have in mind, and give them as much properties, constraints, desires, capabilities and context information that is relevant for SIP-Communicator. A typical number of personas is 3. You
have one primary persona, and two secondary. Collecting data can
e.g. come from market research data (what users are using VoIP?
Skype?; Number of buddies in a list, etc.).

What we gain then are users we can talk about, that are partially based on real data, and we can say: this is the user we want to make
happy, and those are the users whom we want to use our software.

More information about personas can be found here: http:// en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personas and here: http://tina-t.blogspot.com/
2005/06/personas-part-1.html

My suggestion is that fabiana and me are working on a first sketch of
the personas. We will outline them in the wiki and change them according to your feedback until we agree on them.

So long, Jan

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net For additional
commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net