[sip-comm-dev] Strange exception while testing ZRTP

To all my beloved SIP and media gurus,

maybe you have a look at the list of exceptions that SIP-Communicator
kindly provided during a test call (attached you'll also find the wireshark
file to get some more info about the SIP dialog)

My media setting is portaudio, that works when I call the famous music at iptel.
Even if the wireshark shows that SC sent a BYE (see line 86) - I did click
on SC's hangup button. I terminated the call from the other party.

The net result of the exceptions is: not media channel available :frowning: .

Regards,
Werner

run:
     [java]
     [java] Welcome to Felix.
     [java] =================
     [java]
     [java] 16:36:00.215 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.logApplicationException().968 An error occurred while processing event of type:
javax.sip.DialogTerminatedEvent
     [java] java.lang.NullPointerException
     [java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.getServiceData(SipStackSharing.java:930)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.processResponse(SipStackSharing.java:659)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.EventScanner.deliverEvent(EventScanner.java:290)
     [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.SipProviderImpl.handleEvent(SipProviderImpl.java:184)
     [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.DialogFilter.processResponse(DialogFilter.java:1220)
     [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.UDPMessageChannel.processMessage(UDPMessageChannel.java:497)
     [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.UDPMessageChannel.processIncomingDataPacket(UDPMessageChannel.java:414)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.UDPMessageChannel.run(UDPMessageChannel.java:258)
     [java] at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
     [java] warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
     [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 4 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@7440d1b0
     [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 4 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@4b86b570
     [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 4 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@78f1f2cc
     [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 4 bm = com.sun.media.BasicRendererModule@547b6d1c
     [java] BasicRendererModule.doPrefetch:155 Render : true
     [java] 16:36:01.137 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerMediaHandler.throwOperationFailedException().2492 Remote party sent an invlid SDP answer.

[java] 16:36:01.137 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerSipImpl.processInviteOK().906 There was an error parsing the SDP description of
sip:102@172.16.133.1(sip:102@172.16.133.1)
     [java] net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException: Remote party sent an invlid SDP answer.

[java] at
net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.java:2495)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerMediaHandler.processAnswer(CallPeerMediaHandler.java:1248)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerMediaHandler.processAnswer(CallPeerMediaHandler.java:1208)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerSipImpl.processInviteOK(CallPeerSipImpl.java:898)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.processInviteOK(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:656)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.processResponse(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:416)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.processResponse(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.java:548)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.processResponse(SipStackSharing.java:673)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.SipProviderImpl.handleEvent(SipProviderImpl.java:184)
     [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.DialogFilter.processResponse(DialogFilter.java:1062)
     [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.SIPClientTransaction.inviteClientTransaction(SIPClientTransaction.java:834)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.SIPClientTransaction.processResponse(SIPClientTransaction.java:546)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.SIPClientTransaction.processResponse(SIPClientTransaction.java:1431)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.UDPMessageChannel.processMessage(UDPMessageChannel.java:497)
     [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.UDPMessageChannel.processIncomingDataPacket(UDPMessageChannel.java:414)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.UDPMessageChannel.run(UDPMessageChannel.java:258)
     [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 3 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@3dad8690
     [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 3 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@4b5d7792
     [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 3 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@655538e5
     [java] Expression 'ret' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1029
     [java] Expression 'AlsaOpen( &alsaApi->baseHostApiRep, params, streamDir, &self->pcm )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1186

[java] Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_Initialize( &self->playback, alsaApi, outParams, StreamDirection_Out, NULL != callback )' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1417
     [java] Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Initialize( stream, alsaHostApi, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, callback, streamFlags,
userData )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1994
     [java] BasicRenderModule.doPrefetch:159
     [java] javax.media.ResourceUnavailableException: Device unavailable
     [java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.neomedia.jmfext.media.renderer.audio.PortAudioRenderer.open(PortAudioRenderer.java:183)
     [java] at com.sun.media.BasicRendererModule.doPrefetch(BasicRendererModule.java:158)
     [java] at com.sun.media.BasicTrackControl.prefetchTrack(BasicTrackControl.java:99)
     [java] at com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine.doPrefetch1(PlaybackEngine.java:682)
     [java] at com.sun.media.ProcessEngine.doPrefetch(ProcessEngine.java:230)
     [java] at com.sun.media.PrefetchWorkThread.process(BasicController.java:1430)
     [java] at com.sun.media.StateTransitionWorkThread.run(BasicController.java:1339)
     [java] !!!!!!!����������� BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96
     [java] Cannot build a flow graph with the customized options:
     [java] Unable to add customed codecs:
     [java] net.java.sip.communicator.impl.neomedia.audiolevel.AudioLevelEffect@15a6c214
     [java] Failed to prefetch: com.sun.media.ProcessEngine@4efe03b3
     [java] Error: Unable to prefetch com.sun.media.ProcessEngine@4efe03b3
     [java]
     [java] 16:36:11.826 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.logApplicationException().968 An error occurred while processing event of type:
     [java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.getServiceData(SipStackSharing.java:930)
     [java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.processResponse(SipStackSharing.java:659)
     [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.DialogFilter.processResponse(DialogFilter.java:1220)

strangeExceptions.dat.gz (6.83 KB)

Hi,

about the NullPointerException in SipStackSharing we have seen it and
will investigate it. I'm asking about the portaudio exception which is
the one I'm asking. What is you current linux distribution and its
version? Do you have pulseaudio installed? While doing the test was
there some other sound playing on the PC?

Thanks
damencho

···

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Werner Dittmann <Werner.Dittmann@t-online.de> wrote:

My media setting is portaudio, that works when I call the famous music at iptel.

Regards,
Werner

run:
[java]
[java] Welcome to Felix.
[java] =================
[java]
[java] 16:36:00.215 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.logApplicationException().968 An error occurred while processing event of type:

\[java\]     at net\.java\.sip\.communicator\.impl\.protocol\.sip\.SipStackSharing\.processResponse\(SipStackSharing\.java:659\)

\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.EventScanner\.deliverEvent\(EventScanner\.java:290\)
\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.SipProviderImpl\.handleEvent\(SipProviderImpl\.java:184\)
\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.DialogFilter\.processResponse\(DialogFilter\.java:1220\)
\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.UDPMessageChannel\.processMessage\(UDPMessageChannel\.java:497\)
\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.UDPMessageChannel\.processIncomingDataPacket\(UDPMessageChannel\.java:414\)

\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.UDPMessageChannel\.run\(UDPMessageChannel\.java:258\)
\[java\]     at java\.lang\.Thread\.run\(Thread\.java:636\)
\[java\] warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
\[java\] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack\(\):96  4 bm =  com\.sun\.media\.BasicFilterModule@7440d1b0
\[java\] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack\(\):96  4 bm =  com\.sun\.media\.BasicFilterModule@4b86b570
\[java\] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack\(\):96  4 bm =  com\.sun\.media\.BasicFilterModule@78f1f2cc
\[java\] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack\(\):96  4 bm =  com\.sun\.media\.BasicRendererModule@547b6d1c
\[java\] BasicRendererModule\.doPrefetch:155 Render : true
\[java\] 16:36:01\.137 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl\.protocol\.sip\.CallPeerMediaHandler\.throwOperationFailedException\(\)\.2492 Remote party sent an invlid SDP answer\.

\[java\] 16:36:01\.137 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl\.protocol\.sip\.CallPeerSipImpl\.processInviteOK\(\)\.906 There was an error parsing the SDP description of

[java] net.java.sip.communicator.service.protocol.OperationFailedException: Remote party sent an invlid SDP answer.

\[java\]     at

net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.throwOperationFailedException(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.java:2495)

\[java\]     at net\.java\.sip\.communicator\.impl\.protocol\.sip\.CallPeerMediaHandler\.processAnswer\(CallPeerMediaHandler\.java:1248\)

\[java\]     at net\.java\.sip\.communicator\.impl\.protocol\.sip\.CallPeerMediaHandler\.processAnswer\(CallPeerMediaHandler\.java:1208\)

\[java\]     at net\.java\.sip\.communicator\.impl\.protocol\.sip\.CallPeerSipImpl\.processInviteOK\(CallPeerSipImpl\.java:898\)

\[java\]     at net\.java\.sip\.communicator\.impl\.protocol\.sip\.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl\.processInviteOK\(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl\.java:656\)

\[java\]     at net\.java\.sip\.communicator\.impl\.protocol\.sip\.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl\.processResponse\(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl\.java:416\)

\[java\]     at net\.java\.sip\.communicator\.impl\.protocol\.sip\.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl\.processResponse\(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl\.java:548\)

\[java\]     at net\.java\.sip\.communicator\.impl\.protocol\.sip\.SipStackSharing\.processResponse\(SipStackSharing\.java:673\)

\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.EventScanner\.deliverEvent\(EventScanner\.java:290\)
\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.SipProviderImpl\.handleEvent\(SipProviderImpl\.java:184\)
\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.DialogFilter\.processResponse\(DialogFilter\.java:1062\)
\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.SIPClientTransaction\.inviteClientTransaction\(SIPClientTransaction\.java:834\)

\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.SIPClientTransaction\.processResponse\(SIPClientTransaction\.java:546\)

\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.SIPClientTransaction\.processResponse\(SIPClientTransaction\.java:1431\)

\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.UDPMessageChannel\.processMessage\(UDPMessageChannel\.java:497\)
\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.UDPMessageChannel\.processIncomingDataPacket\(UDPMessageChannel\.java:414\)

\[java\]     at gov\.nist\.javax\.sip\.stack\.UDPMessageChannel\.run\(UDPMessageChannel\.java:258\)
\[java\]     at java\.lang\.Thread\.run\(Thread\.java:636\)
\[java\] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack\(\):96  3 bm =  com\.sun\.media\.BasicFilterModule@3dad8690
\[java\] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack\(\):96  3 bm =  com\.sun\.media\.BasicFilterModule@4b5d7792
\[java\] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack\(\):96  3 bm =  com\.sun\.media\.BasicFilterModule@655538e5
\[java\] warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
\[java\] Expression &#39;ret&#39; failed in &#39;src/hostapi/alsa/pa\_linux\_alsa\.c&#39;, line: 1029
\[java\] Expression &#39;AlsaOpen\( &amp;alsaApi\-&gt;baseHostApiRep, params, streamDir, &amp;self\-&gt;pcm \)&#39; failed in &#39;src/hostapi/alsa/pa\_linux\_alsa\.c&#39;, line: 1186

\[java\] Expression &#39;PaAlsaStreamComponent\_Initialize\( &amp;self\-&gt;playback, alsaApi, outParams, StreamDirection\_Out, NULL \!= callback \)&#39; failed in

[java] Expression 'PaAlsaStream_Initialize( stream, alsaHostApi, inputParameters, outputParameters, sampleRate, framesPerBuffer, callback, streamFlags,
[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.neomedia.jmfext.media.renderer.audio.PortAudioRenderer.open(PortAudioRenderer.java:183)
[java] at com.sun.media.BasicRendererModule.doPrefetch(BasicRendererModule.java:158)
[java] at com.sun.media.BasicTrackControl.prefetchTrack(BasicTrackControl.java:99)
[java] at com.sun.media.StateTransitionWorkThread.run(BasicController.java:1339)
[java] !!!!!!!§§§§§§§§§§§ BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96
[java] net.java.sip.communicator.impl.neomedia.audiolevel.AudioLevelEffect@15a6c214
[java]
[java] 16:36:11.826 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.logApplicationException().968 An error occurred while processing event of type:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Damian,

my system is a 64bit openSuse 11.2, the Java is a Sun JDK 1.6, latest
patch level.

No other applications were running that used sound. As said, it works
fine when I call music@iptel.org.

Also I would like to draw your attention to the error message in the
exception stack that reports:

There was an error parsing the SDP description of sip:102@172.16.133.1(sip:102@172.16.133.1)

in CallPeerSipImpl below. Thus there was probably not media/codec etc
information provided to the sound processing.

Maybe this is one cause why the sound processing fails.

I should mention that I use another client (not SC) when I do ZRTP
tests and that this client worked well with SC until I updated to
use neomedia to test the ZRTP implementation in neomedia.

Regards,
Werner

···

Am 16.12.2009 17:44, schrieb Damian Minkov:

Hi,

Thanks
damencho

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Werner Dittmann > <Werner.Dittmann@t-online.de> wrote:

Regards,
Werner

run:
    [java]
    [java] Welcome to Felix.
    [java] =================
    [java]

[java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 4 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@7440d1b0
    [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 4 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@4b86b570
    [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 4 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@78f1f2cc
    [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 4 bm = com.sun.media.BasicRendererModule@547b6d1c
    [java] 16:36:01.137 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerMediaHandler.throwOperationFailedException().2492 Remote party sent an invlid SDP answer.

[java] 16:36:01.137 SCHWERWIEGEND: impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerSipImpl.processInviteOK().906 There was an error parsing the SDP description of

[java] at

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerMediaHandler.processAnswer(CallPeerMediaHandler.java:1248)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerMediaHandler.processAnswer(CallPeerMediaHandler.java:1208)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.CallPeerSipImpl.processInviteOK(CallPeerSipImpl.java:898)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.processInviteOK(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:656)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.processResponse(OperationSetBasicTelephonySipImpl.java:416)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.processResponse(ProtocolProviderServiceSipImpl.java:548)

[java] at net.java.sip.communicator.impl.protocol.sip.SipStackSharing.processResponse(SipStackSharing.java:673)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.DialogFilter.processResponse(DialogFilter.java:1062)
    [java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.SIPClientTransaction.inviteClientTransaction(SIPClientTransaction.java:834)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.SIPClientTransaction.processResponse(SIPClientTransaction.java:546)

[java] at gov.nist.javax.sip.stack.SIPClientTransaction.processResponse(SIPClientTransaction.java:1431)

[java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 3 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@3dad8690
    [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 3 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@4b5d7792
    [java] BasicTrackControl:prefetchTrack():96 3 bm = com.sun.media.BasicFilterModule@655538e5
    [java] Expression 'ret' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1029
    [java] Expression 'AlsaOpen( &alsaApi->baseHostApiRep, params, streamDir, &self->pcm )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 1186

[java] Expression 'PaAlsaStreamComponent_Initialize( &self->playback, alsaApi, outParams, StreamDirection_Out, NULL != callback )' failed in
    [java]

All,

here is th root cause of the problem that causes the exceptions and
the stop of audio:

The other client sends a media description line that contains a port
number of 0. According to the RFC that says: no support for this media.
The method "processAnwser(...)" in CallPeerMediaHandler loops over all
media descriptions even if it has a port number 0. Such a media
description does not have any media formats - thus the list is empty
and the method complains about this destorying all media channels.

A quick fix to test this assumption is (I don't send a patch because
it is quick and dirty and needs to be in the proper place):

in "processAnwser(...)" in CallPeerMediaHandler:

for ( MediaDescription mediaDescription : remoteDescriptions)
        {
            MediaType mediaType = SdpUtils.getMediaType(mediaDescription);
            try {
                int mp = mediaDescription.getMedia().getMediaPort();
// System.out.println("Media port: " + mp);
                if (mp == 0)
                    continue;
            } catch (SdpParseException e) {
                // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                e.printStackTrace();
            }

This skips a media line that reports: "no such media supported"

Regards,
Werner

···

Am 16.12.2009 18:31, schrieb Werner Dittmann:

Damian,

my system is a 64bit openSuse 11.2, the Java is a Sun JDK 1.6, latest
patch level.

No other applications were running that used sound. As said, it works
fine when I call music@iptel.org.

Also I would like to draw your attention to the error message in the
exception stack that reports:

There was an error parsing the SDP description of sip:102@172.16.133.1(sip:102@172.16.133.1)

in CallPeerSipImpl below. Thus there was probably not media/codec etc
information provided to the sound processing.

Maybe this is one cause why the sound processing fails.

I should mention that I use another client (not SC) when I do ZRTP
tests and that this client worked well with SC until I updated to
use neomedia to test the ZRTP implementation in neomedia.

Regards,
Werner

Am 16.12.2009 17:44, schrieb Damian Minkov:

Hi,

Thanks
damencho

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Werner Dittmann >> <Werner.Dittmann@t-online.de> wrote:

Regards,
Werner

run:
    [java]
    [java] Welcome to Felix.
    [java] =================
    [java]

[java] at

[java]