[sip-comm-dev] Sparkle update

Hi,

Thanks to Egidijus' work in GSoC, we have updated Sparkle (updater for MacOSX) to the latest version. Updates are now signed (from the next build, i.e. 1988 and above), thus improving the security of the updates.

Even though updates from build 1988 will be signed, people that have a build < 1988 and that try to update to a version >= 1988 should be able to do it without problems (checks on the package signature are only performed from build 1988).

Also, update checks happen only on the second and subsequent runs of the application (this behaviour can be changed, but such behaviour avoids to annoy new users with updates on the very first startup).

Egidijus, I've acked your work on growl and sparkle on our website. I've also closed issues #587 (growl) and #597 (sparkle). Once again, thanks for your great work!

Cheers,
romain

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi Romain, Egidijus,

I wanted to check for updates today and noticed that the "Check for update" item in the MacOS X has disappeared. I was wondering if this could be related to the Sparkle update you've made last week. Should this be normal?

Cheers,
Yana

···

On Aug 14, 2009, at 7:36 PM, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi,

Thanks to Egidijus' work in GSoC, we have updated Sparkle (updater for MacOSX) to the latest version. Updates are now signed (from the next build, i.e. 1988 and above), thus improving the security of the updates.

Even though updates from build 1988 will be signed, people that have a build < 1988 and that try to update to a version >= 1988 should be able to do it without problems (checks on the package signature are only performed from build 1988).

Also, update checks happen only on the second and subsequent runs of the application (this behaviour can be changed, but such behaviour avoids to annoy new users with updates on the very first startup).

Egidijus, I've acked your work on growl and sparkle on our website. I've also closed issues #587 (growl) and #597 (sparkle). Once again, thanks for your great work!

Cheers,
romain

Hi Yana,

I wanted to check for updates today and noticed that the "Check for update" item in the MacOS X has disappeared. I was wondering if this could be related to the Sparkle update you've made last week. Should this be normal?

Which build are you using? I have the latest one here (1989) and I have the "Check for updates" item in the menu. Do you see any exception that could be related to Growl in the console?

cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/18, at 9:56, Yana Stamcheva wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Looks like it doesn't work only when Sparkle.framework is not present in the /Library/Frameworks/. So this is some kind of compilation problem I guess. Why it looks for a framework in system directory, and not in the app bundle?

Cheers,
Egidijus

···

On 18 Aug 2009, at 09:59, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Yana,

Which build are you using? I have the latest one here (1989) and I have the "Check for updates" item in the menu. Do you see any exception that could be related to Growl in the console?

cheers,
romain

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

(I meant Sparkle here, not Growl).
I'll look at the issue Egidijus pointed out.

romain

···

On 2009/08/18, at 10:59, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Looks like it doesn't work only when Sparkle.framework is not present in the /Library/Frameworks/. So this is some kind of compilation problem I guess. Why it looks for a framework in system directory, and not in the app bundle?

It seems that libsparkle_init.dylib is not compiled correctly and lookups the Sparkle Framework in the wrong directory. I'll fix that.

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/18, at 11:09, Egidijus Jankauskas wrote:

Hi Yana,

cheers,
romain

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi Romain,

Strange..I'm also with 1989 and I'm afraid I don't have any exceptions related to Sparkle.

Cheers,
Yana

···

On Aug 18, 2009, at 11:59 AM, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Yana,

cheers,
romain

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Hi,

It seems that libsparkle_init.dylib is not compiled correctly and lookups the Sparkle Framework in the wrong directory. I'll fix that.

I fixed this by changing the "Installation directory" property from "@loader_path/../Frameworks" to "@executable_path/../Frameworks" in Sparkle framework project, then rebuild it, and recompiled init_sparkle.dylib against it. But I think you can do the same thing without recompiling the framework.

Cheers,
Egidijus

···

On 18 Aug 2009, at 10:53, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Yana, Egidijus,

I think I could fix the problem. The real problem comes from the Sparkle framework I think, so to avoid to recompile it I've added a small workaround when compiling our sparkle JNI. The new version of the JNI is committed.

The problem here is that you'll have to download a new version of SC via the website to get a version that works correctly.

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/18, at 11:53, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi Yana,

cheers,
romain

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

I fixed this by changing the "Installation directory" property from "@loader_path/../Frameworks" to "@executable_path/../Frameworks" in Sparkle framework project, then rebuild it, and recompiled init_sparkle.dylib against it. But I think you can do the same thing without recompiling the framework.

Ok, that's another way to do it. My concern is that we have to modify the Sparkle framework, so at the moment I think I'll keep the current solution : I've added a line in the dylib makefile which replaces @loader_path with @executable_path directly in the dylib using the "install_name_tool" tool.

I've also fixed a little issue in the script that builds the Mac OSX package. The signature string of the package sometimes have "/" in it, which causes problems when using sed to update the appcast. This is now fixed and build 1990 should be available via the updates.

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/18, at 12:24, Egidijus Jankauskas wrote:

Hi Romain, Egidijus,

Wow! This was lightning fast! Thanks!
With build 1990, "Check for updates" is there again.

Cheers,
Yana

···

On Aug 18, 2009, at 1:21 PM, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Yana, Egidijus,

I think I could fix the problem. The real problem comes from the Sparkle framework I think, so to avoid to recompile it I've added a small workaround when compiling our sparkle JNI. The new version of the JNI is committed.

The problem here is that you'll have to download a new version of SC via the website to get a version that works correctly.

Cheers,
romain

On 2009/08/18, at 11:53, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi Yana,

cheers,
romain

Hi,

Cheers,
romain