[sip-comm-dev] Sparkle crashes

Hi,

Emil noticed me that SC crashes when Sparkle tries to relaunch an updated version. It appears that the new version is installed correctly and can be exectued correctly as well, but that Sparkle cannot execute it for some reasons (seems related to a path issue). I've sent a message to the Sparkle's community, I'll try to fix this ASAP.

Cheers,
romain

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi,

Looks like it is a problem of a relaunch tool in Sparkle.framework/Resources/. It manages to install the update, but can't relaunch it. It works fine if I change the "@loader_path" to "@executable_path" in Sparkle project properties, recompile the framework, and replace the old relaunch tool in the framework that is in SIP Communicator.app with the new relaunch tool from the recompiled framework.

···

On 24 Aug 2009, at 10:57, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi,

Emil noticed me that SC crashes when Sparkle tries to relaunch an updated version. It appears that the new version is installed correctly and can be exectued correctly as well, but that Sparkle cannot execute it for some reasons (seems related to a path issue). I've sent a message to the Sparkle's community, I'll try to fix this ASAP.

Cheers,
romain

Hi Egis,

Great catch! Finally you were suggesting the right thing from the beginning: I'll recompile the Sparkle framework by replacing "@loader_path" with "@executable_path" and use it for our releases.

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/24, at 12:58, Egidijus Jankauskas wrote:

Hi,

Looks like it is a problem of a relaunch tool in Sparkle.framework/Resources/. It manages to install the update, but can't relaunch it. It works fine if I change the "@loader_path" to "@executable_path" in Sparkle project properties, recompile the framework, and replace the old relaunch tool in the framework that is in SIP Communicator.app with the new relaunch tool from the recompiled framework.

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi again,

I've committed the fix proposed by Egis. Let's wait for a new build :slight_smile:
I've also update the libsparkle to support ppc architecture (in addition to i386 and x86_64).

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/24, at 13:22, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Egis,

Great catch! Finally you were suggesting the right thing from the beginning: I'll recompile the Sparkle framework by replacing "@loader_path" with "@executable_path" and use it for our releases.

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

I have one question about the H264 SDP. Why do you use packetization-mode=1???

Thanks.

Pablo.

···

Hi Egis,

I've replaced the framework with the new one, but the problem seems to remain. Here is what I've done:
- replacing loader_path with executable_path in Sparkle/Configurations/ConfigFramework.xcconfig

- building sparkle with the following target and config:

Project -> Set Active Target -> Sparkle

Project -> Set Active Build Configuration -> Release

It seems there are no references to executable_path in the new framework, but still, it crashes on relaunch. Any idea?

Cheers,

romain

···

On 2009/08/24, at 14:22, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi again,

I've committed the fix proposed by Egis. Let's wait for a new build :slight_smile:
I've also update the libsparkle to support ppc architecture (in addition to i386 and x86_64).

Cheers,
romain

Hi Egis,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi Romain,

I haven't touched the xcconfig files. I simply opened the Sparkle.xcodeproj, expanded the Targets in "Groups and Files", opened Sparkle target info panel, and changed the Installation Directory under Deployment to @executable_path/../Frameworks. Then Dynamic Library Install Name under Linking changes automatically if I recall correctly.

I have used the same target and config in xcode as you.

Cheers,
Egis

···

On 24 Aug 2009, at 14:21, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Egis,

I've replaced the framework with the new one, but the problem seems to remain. Here is what I've done:
- replacing loader_path with executable_path in Sparkle/Configurations/ConfigFramework.xcconfig

It seems there are no references to executable_path in the new framework, but still, it crashes on relaunch. Any idea?

Cheers,

romain

Hi again,

Cheers,
romain

Hi Egis,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi Egis,

I haven't touched the xcconfig files. I simply opened the Sparkle.xcodeproj, expanded the Targets in "Groups and Files", opened Sparkle target info panel, and changed the Installation Directory under Deployment to @executable_path/../Frameworks. Then Dynamic Library Install Name under Linking changes automatically if I recall correctly.

I have used the same target and config in xcode as you.

Ok, I've committed a new version of the framework following your procedure. BTW, do you know if the relaunch tool used to execute SC is the one used in the old version or in the newly installed one?

PS: If it still fails, I think you'll be able to use your commit power if you want :slight_smile:

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/24, at 15:32, Egidijus Jankauskas wrote:

Hi Egis,

Cheers,

romain

Hi again,

Cheers,
romain

Hi Egis,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hey Pablo,

PABLO LOPEZ GARCIA wrote:

Hi,

rather than?

Emil

···

Hi,

Ok, I've committed a new version of the framework following your procedure. BTW, do you know if the relaunch tool used to execute SC is the one used in the old version or in the newly installed one?

I think it is the old one. Because Sparkle doesn't know what's in the update, it should not even assume that it is still there. For example developers may decide to remove Sparkle support in the update.

If you are worried about the need to manually update SC again, I think you shouldn't because relaunch tool only fails to relaunch SC, while the update itself is done properly. Thus the user has an updated version, and during the next update everything should work smoothly (provided the updated version has a working relaunch tool :)).

Cheers,
Egidijus

···

On 24 Aug 2009, at 15:27, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Egis,

PS: If it still fails, I think you'll be able to use your commit power if you want :slight_smile:

Hmmmm it still fails actually. I must have missed something.
Egis, when you'll have some time, feel free to replace the sparkle framework with yours in our trunk.

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/24, at 16:27, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Hi Egis,

Cheers,

romain

Hi again,

Cheers,
romain

Hi Egis,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Hi,

Cheers,
romain

Hi,

Another option is packetization-mode=0 (or without packetization-mode parameter).

Thanks.

Pablo.

···

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Emil Ivov [mailto:emil@sip-communicator.org] En nombre de Emil Ivov
Enviado el: lunes, 24 de agosto de 2009 17:59
Para: dev@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
Asunto: Re: [sip-comm-dev] Question About H.264 SDP

Hey Pablo,

Hi,

rather than?

Emil

Hi Romain,

Hmmmm it still fails actually. I must have missed something.
Egis, when you'll have some time, feel free to replace the sparkle framework with yours in our trunk.

The framework itself in the trunk looks fine, I suspect something is wrong with the unzipping of Sparkle.framework in macosx-sparkle target. If I take the relaunch file from Sparkle.framework.zip and put it manually to the SIP Communicator.app that macosx-sparkle target creates, it works just fine without any crashes. Any ideas why the unzip task doesn't preserve the file type of the relaunch tool and can that be a reason for the crashes?

Cheers,
Egis

···

On 24 Aug 2009, at 16:14, Romain KUNTZ wrote

Hi,

as said in rfc for packetization-mode=1 (Non-Interleaved Mode) This mode SHOULD be supported.
The clients that we were testing with - were using it and that was the reason we chose to implement it and use it.

damencho

···

Hi,

Another option is packetization-mode=0 (or without packetization-mode parameter).

Thanks.

Pablo.

Hey Pablo,

Hi,

rather than?

Emil

Hi Egis,

Any ideas why the unzip task doesn't preserve the file
type of the relaunch tool and can that be a reason for the crashes?

Not that I have a good knowledge of the problem you're discussing but
if zipping/unzipping is involved, wouldn't the permissions be not
preserved rather than the file type? Anyway, just wanted to mention
it.

Best regards,
Lubomir

···

Ok.

Thank you for your answer,

Pablo.

···

De: Damian Minkov [mailto:damencho@damencho.com] En nombre de Damian Minkov
Enviado el: martes, 25 de agosto de 2009 9:45

Hi,

as said in rfc for packetization-mode=1 (Non-Interleaved Mode) This mode
SHOULD be supported.
The clients that we were testing with - were using it and that was the
reason we chose to implement it and use it.

damencho

Hi,

Thanks.

Pablo.

Hey Pablo,

Hi,

rather than?

Emil

Taking a look at the RFC I've seen that related with Single NAL Unit Mode, "All receivers MUST support this mode". Does SIP-Communicator support this mode?

Thanks.

Pablo.

···

De: PABLO LOPEZ GARCIA [mailto:palg@tid.es]
Enviado el: martes, 25 de agosto de 2009 10:23
Asunto: RE: [sip-comm-dev] Question About H.264 SDP

Ok.

Thank you for your answer,

Pablo.

De: Damian Minkov [mailto:damencho@damencho.com] En nombre de Damian Minkov
Enviado el: martes, 25 de agosto de 2009 9:45

Hi,

as said in rfc for packetization-mode=1 (Non-Interleaved Mode) This mode
SHOULD be supported.
The clients that we were testing with - were using it and that was the
reason we chose to implement it and use it.

damencho

Hi,

Thanks.

Pablo.

Hey Pablo,

Hi,

rather than?

Emil

Hi Lubomir,

You were correct, thanks for pointing that out. I have added

<chmod file="${macosx.app.dir}/${application.name}.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/relaunch" perm="ugo+rx"></chmod>

to the resources/install/build.xml and it solved the problem. Now SIP Communicator doesn't crash when Sparkle relaunches it after the update.

Cheers,
Egis

···

On 24 Aug 2009, at 19:11, Lubomir Marinov wrote:

Hi Egis,

it.

Best regards,
Lubomir

Hi guys,

Good job! That was a nasty one, thanks for taking care of that!

Cheers,
romain

···

On 2009/08/24, at 22:15, Egidijus Jankauskas wrote:

Hi Lubomir,

You were correct, thanks for pointing that out. I have added

<chmod file="${macosx.app.dir}/${application.name}.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/relaunch" perm="ugo+rx"></>

to the resources/install/build.xml and it solved the problem. Now SIP Communicator doesn't crash when Sparkle relaunches it after the update.

Cheers,
Egis

On 24 Aug 2009, at 19:11, Lubomir Marinov wrote:

Hi Egis,

it.

Best regards,
Lubomir