[sip-comm-dev] Sound on/off icon

Hi Emil,

right now I'm working on issue 249 - "sound on/off icon" ( https://sip-communicator.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=249 ).

Until now I've added a button in the main tool bar, which switches on/off all sounds in the application and stores the property "isSoundEnabled" through the ConfigurationService.

However I've not finished yet and I have some questions.

What do you think should be the policy for sounds that are currently playing? If we decide to stop them, when user clicks on the icon "Switch off sound", then we should think of restoring them when user decides to switch back on. However this is not trivial because we should know for each sound, which was stopped if it should be still playing.

For me this property should be more static, not only because of already mentioned "problems", but because user should differentiate this property from the "sound on/off" property of the OS. Maybe the icon in the toolbar could be confusing also (for example if user expects to stop sound when talking with someone) and we should add this in on of the menus. Thus it will be clear that this is only a configuration property. WDYT?

Regards,
Yana

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hey Yana,

How about implementing an AudioNotifier service and using it for all sound notifications?

This way you'd have all currently playing notifications available in there. Once the notifier detects that the value of the sound control property had changed it could go over all current notifications and stop every one of them.

I agree there is a risk that this may cause confusion and make the users believe that the button also mutes sound in a call. However, I think that this could be avoided if we choose the button icon properly (e.g. use a music note instead of a speaker image).

Emil

Yana Stamcheva wrote:

···

Hi Emil,

right now I'm working on issue 249 - "sound on/off icon" ( https://sip-communicator.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=249 ).

Until now I've added a button in the main tool bar, which switches on/off all sounds in the application and stores the property "isSoundEnabled" through the ConfigurationService.

However I've not finished yet and I have some questions.

What do you think should be the policy for sounds that are currently playing? If we decide to stop them, when user clicks on the icon "Switch off sound", then we should think of restoring them when user decides to switch back on. However this is not trivial because we should know for each sound, which was stopped if it should be still playing.

For me this property should be more static, not only because of already mentioned "problems", but because user should differentiate this property from the "sound on/off" property of the OS. Maybe the icon in the toolbar could be confusing also (for example if user expects to stop sound when talking with someone) and we should add this in on of the menus. Thus it will be clear that this is only a configuration property. WDYT?

Regards,
Yana