[sip-comm-dev] SIP Communicator alpha2 release is out!


#1

Dear SIP Communicator users,

We are proud to announce the SIP Communicator 1.0-alpha2 release!
It's been more than 10 months since the alpha1 release, this new version thus brings a lot of new features:
- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE, AIM, RSS feeds,
- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,
- better user experience with the possibility to merge contacts through drag&drop, support of avatars and contact photos, and the systray,
- improved stability,
- and many other things!

You will find packages for various distributions on this page:
http://download.sip-communicator.org/

The developer team.

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#2

Where's the changelog from the a1 release? I've been following along
the discussions, even reviewed the open issues now closed during the
freezing phase just finished, but a changelog would be the best summary
to help decide whether to upgrade to this release.

···

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 17:13 +0100, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Dear SIP Communicator users,

We are proud to announce the SIP Communicator 1.0-alpha2 release!
It's been more than 10 months since the alpha1 release, this new
version thus brings a lot of new features:
- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE,
AIM, RSS feeds,
- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,
- better user experience with the possibility to merge contacts
through drag&drop, support of avatars and contact photos, and the
systray,
- improved stability,
- and many other things!

You will find packages for various distributions on this page:
http://download.sip-communicator.org/

The developer team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#3

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE,

What exactly do you mean by Bonjour support? Are you compliant with the
Link-Local Messaging spec? I worked with folks at Apple to make sure
that it's accurate:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html

- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,

Given that SIP Communicator has support for Jabber/XMPP, you might want
to list it here (we will launch the new website next week):

http://stage.jabber.org/clients

Peter

···

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/


#4

Hi Matthew,

We do not maintain a changelog as this would be certainly really huge, but I think the roadmap available on the website gives a good overview of the new features available in SC for the alpha2:
http://www.sip-communicator.org/index.php/Development/Roadmap

romain

···

On 2007/11/02, at 17:19, Matthew Rubenstein wrote:

  Where's the changelog from the a1 release? I've been following along
the discussions, even reviewed the open issues now closed during the
freezing phase just finished, but a changelog would be the best summary
to help decide whether to upgrade to this release.

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 17:13 +0100, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Dear SIP Communicator users,

We are proud to announce the SIP Communicator 1.0-alpha2 release!
It's been more than 10 months since the alpha1 release, this new
version thus brings a lot of new features:
- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE,
AIM, RSS feeds,
- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,
- better user experience with the possibility to merge contacts
through drag&drop, support of avatars and contact photos, and the
systray,
- improved stability,
- and many other things!

You will find packages for various distributions on this page:
http://download.sip-communicator.org/

The developer team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#5

Hi Peter,

What exactly do you mean by Bonjour support? Are you compliant with the
Link-Local Messaging spec? I worked with folks at Apple to make sure
that it's accurate:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html

"Bonjour" support was implemented at the beginning of year 2007 in SC, so as you know, the XEP-0174 hadn't reached the status of Draft at that time. Nevertheless, we've tried to support the behavior described in the experimental specs, so it might be compliant with the final draft. In fact, we were mainly focusing on the compatibility with gaim/pidgin's implementation and with Apple's iChat.
I've taken a quick look at the XEP-0174 1.0 when it was released, but I haven't had time to check if everything would be ok in SIP Communicator. I'll do so soon and if any modifications are needed, I'll take care of them.

Best Regards,
Chris.

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#6

Hi Peter,

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE,

What exactly do you mean by Bonjour support? Are you compliant with the
Link-Local Messaging spec? I worked with folks at Apple to make sure
that it's accurate:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html

- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,

Given that SIP Communicator has support for Jabber/XMPP, you might want
to list it here (we will launch the new website next week):

http://stage.jabber.org/clients

I tried to do this but couldn't find a way to edit the clients page. Did
I miss something or is this only allowed to certain users?

Emil

···

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#7

Emil Ivov wrote:

Hi Peter,

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE,

What exactly do you mean by Bonjour support? Are you compliant with the
Link-Local Messaging spec? I worked with folks at Apple to make sure
that it's accurate:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html

- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,

Given that SIP Communicator has support for Jabber/XMPP, you might want
to list it here (we will launch the new website next week):

http://stage.jabber.org/clients

I tried to do this but couldn't find a way to edit the clients page. Did
I miss something or is this only allowed to certain users?

I have granted you "content creator" privileges so that you can create
pages. Now go here:

http://stage.jabber.org/node/add/client

I know, it's a bit confusing. We're writing a content submission guide
but perhaps it needs to be linked to more prominently:

http://stage.jabber.org/submissionguide

Peter

···

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/


#8

Hi all:

once again I am experiencing difficulties with the communicator. Just to refresh I am working on a scaled down version of the sip-communicator called the jain-sip-applet phone and I am using trixbox flavor of asterisk as my server. I yesterday I did some development and now I can only transmit rtp not receive it. I think it was a change in asterisk that broke this as non of my backup versions (previously known to be working) will receive now. Does anyone have a tried and trusted configuration of asterisk that they know works w/ the communicator. Are there any known problems with using the communicator on asterisk?

thank you

Sergei

···

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Rubenstein [mailto:email@mattruby.com]
Sent: Friday, 02 November, 2007 12:19
To: Romain KUNTZ
Cc: SIP-Communicator Dev
Subject: Re: [sip-comm-dev] SIP Communicator alpha2 release is out!

Where's the changelog from the a1 release? I've been following along
the discussions, even reviewed the open issues now closed during the
freezing phase just finished, but a changelog would be the best summary
to help decide whether to upgrade to this release.

On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 17:13 +0100, Romain KUNTZ wrote:

Dear SIP Communicator users,

We are proud to announce the SIP Communicator 1.0-alpha2 release!
It's been more than 10 months since the alpha1 release, this new
version thus brings a lot of new features:
- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE,
AIM, RSS feeds,
- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,
- better user experience with the possibility to merge contacts
through drag&drop, support of avatars and contact photos, and the
systray,
- improved stability,
- and many other things!

You will find packages for various distributions on this page:
*http://download.sip-communicator.org/

The developer team.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#9

Hi Peter,

I just added SIP Communicator there.

Thanks for the tip!

Emil

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

···

Emil Ivov wrote:

Hi Peter,

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE,

What exactly do you mean by Bonjour support? Are you compliant with the
Link-Local Messaging spec? I worked with folks at Apple to make sure
that it's accurate:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html

- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,

Given that SIP Communicator has support for Jabber/XMPP, you might want
to list it here (we will launch the new website next week):

http://stage.jabber.org/clients

I tried to do this but couldn't find a way to edit the clients page. Did
I miss something or is this only allowed to certain users?

I have granted you "content creator" privileges so that you can create
pages. Now go here:

http://stage.jabber.org/node/add/client

I know, it's a bit confusing. We're writing a content submission guide
but perhaps it needs to be linked to more prominently:

http://stage.jabber.org/submissionguide

Peter

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net


#10

Great! The website launch will be delayed because we're working to have
Drupal authenticate against the user database for our XMPP server, but I
promise that the client listing you created will eventually show up at
www.jabber.org. :slight_smile:

Peter

Emil Ivov wrote:

···

Hi Peter,

I just added SIP Communicator there.

Thanks for the tip!

Emil

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Emil Ivov wrote:

Hi Peter,

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Romain KUNTZ wrote:

- support of new protocols such as Yahoo! Messenger, Bonjour, SIMPLE,

What exactly do you mean by Bonjour support? Are you compliant with the
Link-Local Messaging spec? I worked with folks at Apple to make sure
that it's accurate:

http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0174.html

- conference chatting with Jabber and IRC,

Given that SIP Communicator has support for Jabber/XMPP, you might want
to list it here (we will launch the new website next week):

http://stage.jabber.org/clients

I tried to do this but couldn't find a way to edit the clients page. Did
I miss something or is this only allowed to certain users?

I have granted you "content creator" privileges so that you can create
pages. Now go here:

http://stage.jabber.org/node/add/client

I know, it's a bit confusing. We're writing a content submission guide
but perhaps it needs to be linked to more prominently:

http://stage.jabber.org/submissionguide

Peter