[ ignore the previous mail - I hit the wrong key ]
My name is Raphael Wimmer. I am usability mentor for this year's Season of Usability (SoU, ) for SIP-Communicator. This year's student, Mike Oren (www.mikeoren.com) will be looking into the problems that arise when the user interface has to support multiple accounts for multiple communication protocols. There are several issues that apply to many other multi-protocol IM apps as well (Kopete, Pidgin, Trillian, etc.):
* How is information about different accounts displayed?
* How do I add a new account to an existing meta-contact?
* Which account should be used primarily?
* Which meta data (name, online status, etc.) should be common to all accounts?
So, the tasks in this SoU are more or less the following:
* Compare the UIs of different multi-protocol communication applications, document common issues and cool solutions
* Generate general advice on designing multi-protocol/-account UIs
* Provide concrete advice for SIP-Communicator's UI
All we will/can offer is advice and some insight from an outside perspective. You will decide which of our suggestions you will consider for implementation.
Mike, Emil, and I will meet at #sipcosou on FreeNode at Wednesday, June 11th, 17:00 UTC+2 / CEST. We'll be discussing the road map for the next three months. If you have an opinion on this topic or just want to listen in, you are welcome to join us.
 The Season of Usability is a series of sponsored student projects to
encourage students of usability, user-interface design, and interaction
design to get involved with open-source software. During a 3 to 6 month
collaboration, students work closely together with key developers from
FLOSS software projects to improve the use experience of a FLOSS
application. See season.openusability.org for more details.
Dipl.-Medieninf. Raphael Wimmer
LFE Media Informatics E-Mail:
University of Munich Skype: real_raphman
Amalienstr. 17 / Room 206 WWW:
80333 Munich Tel: +49 (89) 2180-4659
Germany Fax: +49 (89) 2180-99-4659
To unsubscribe, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional commands, e-mail: email@example.com