[sip-comm-dev] RPM package questions

Hello guys,

I'm working on packaging the sip-communicator application in an RPM. I would like to ask you if you have established any convention as to where in the system should the application fiiles reside. I can think of several locations, such as /usr/local/sip-communicator, /usr/share/sip-communicator or /opt/<something>/sip-communicator.

Please, tell me if you have been using any of these (or some other). If you don't have any preferenes I'd like to put it in /usr/local/sip-communicator, but this can easily be cnahged in any subsequent build when the user performs an upgrade.

Thanks,
--Pavel Tankov

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi Pavel,

Great to hear about the RPM package! Would be a valuable contribution!

Right now all we have for Linux is a generic installer (i.e. a self-extracting executable) and since it is supposed to also work for non-root users it installs in the home directory (unless izPack implements different behavior when installers are run by root, I think Damencho would know this better).

Martin had created a debian installer for one of the pre1.0 versions. Martin, where were you installing it back then?

Cheers
Emil

Pavel Tankov wrote:

···

Hello guys,

I'm working on packaging the sip-communicator application in an RPM. I would like to ask you if you have established any convention as to where in the system should the application fiiles reside. I can think of several locations, such as /usr/local/sip-communicator, /usr/share/sip-communicator or /opt/<something>/sip-communicator.

Please, tell me if you have been using any of these (or some other). If you don't have any preferenes I'd like to put it in /usr/local/sip-communicator, but this can easily be cnahged in any subsequent build when the user performs an upgrade.

Thanks,
--Pavel Tankov

Hi Pavel,

The best convention to use is the one of the distribution you are primarily targeting. For instance, the Debian policy is quite clear when it comes to create a Debian package: binaries should be put under /usr/bin, global config files under /etc, libs under /usr/lib, ...
Concerning the RPM based distributions, I am not really aware of their practice. If such document doesn't exist then the Debian policy may be applicable to other distributions.

FYI, I am right now packaging the SIP Communicator for Debian, and hope to have something working very soon. I think you can reuse many of the files for your RPM package (manpage, menu files and so).

Cheers,
Martin

Pavel Tankov wrote:

···

Hello guys,

Thanks,
--Pavel Tankov

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail. Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.

Hi,
now the izPack installs the application in /usr/local/sip-communicator if the installer is run as root.
And if its like user its in his home directory.

damencho

···

FYI, I am right now packaging the SIP Communicator for Debian, and hope to have something working very soon.

Hey this is great! Very very nice to hear it!

I've just added [ IN PROGRESS ] status labels and shown the corresponding tasks in the road map.

https://www.sip-communicator.org/index.php/Development/Roadmap

Emil

Martin Andr� wrote:

···

Hi Pavel,

The best convention to use is the one of the distribution you are primarily targeting. For instance, the Debian policy is quite clear when it comes to create a Debian package: binaries should be put under /usr/bin, global config files under /etc, libs under /usr/lib, ...
Concerning the RPM based distributions, I am not really aware of their practice. If such document doesn't exist then the Debian policy may be applicable to other distributions.

FYI, I am right now packaging the SIP Communicator for Debian, and hope to have something working very soon. I think you can reuse many of the files for your RPM package (manpage, menu files and so).

Cheers,
Martin

Pavel Tankov wrote:

Hello guys,

Thanks,
--Pavel Tankov

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail. Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.

Hello Devs,

I have partial success with building the RPM package. It installs runs and uninstalls fine. It is
still rough and needs refinements like what it deppends on and where to put the icons specific for
the Fedroa distro so that they appear in the start-menu of Gnome and KDE.

Now that I have built the RPM statically, i.e. by hand, I will need to arrange for an automatic
build somewhere in the ANT build.xml file.

--Pavel Tankov

···

--- Emil Ivov <emil.ivov@gmail.com> wrote:

> FYI, I am right now packaging the SIP Communicator for Debian, and hope
> to have something working very soon.

I've just added [ IN PROGRESS ] status labels and shown the
corresponding tasks in the road map.

Emil

Martin Andr� wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> The best convention to use is the one of the distribution you are
> primarily targeting. For instance, the Debian policy is quite clear when
> it comes to create a Debian package: binaries should be put under
> /usr/bin, global config files under /etc, libs under /usr/lib, ...
> Concerning the RPM based distributions, I am not really aware of their
> practice. If such document doesn't exist then the Debian policy may be
> applicable to other distributions.
>
> FYI, I am right now packaging the SIP Communicator for Debian, and hope
> to have something working very soon. I think you can reuse many of the
> files for your RPM package (manpage, menu files and so).
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
>
> Pavel Tankov wrote:
>> Hello guys,
>>
>>
>> I'm working on packaging the sip-communicator application in an RPM. I would like to ask you
if you have established any convention as to where in the system should the application fiiles
reside. I can think of several locations, such as /usr/local/sip-communicator,
/usr/share/sip-communicator or /opt/<something>/sip-communicator.
>>
>> Please, tell me if you have been using any of these (or some other). If you don't have any
preferenes I'd like to put it in /usr/local/sip-communicator, but this can easily be cnahged in
any subsequent build when the user performs an upgrade.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --Pavel Tankov
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Orange vous informe que cet e-mail a ete controle par l'anti-virus mail.
>> Aucun virus connu a ce jour par nos services n'a ete detecte.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
>
>

Hey Pavel, this is great news!

(Sorry for the slow reply)

Let us know in case you need any help.

Once you are done we could add it to the nightly build script so that we could have nightly RPMs. (will it actually build on a debian?)

Emil

Pavel Tankov wrote:

···

Hello Devs,

I have partial success with building the RPM package. It installs runs and uninstalls fine. It is
still rough and needs refinements like what it deppends on and where to put the icons specific for
the Fedroa distro so that they appear in the start-menu of Gnome and KDE.

Now that I have built the RPM statically, i.e. by hand, I will need to arrange for an automatic
build somewhere in the ANT build.xml file.

--Pavel Tankov

--- Emil Ivov <emil.ivov@gmail.com> wrote:

FYI, I am right now packaging the SIP Communicator for Debian, and hope to have something working very soon.

I've just added [ IN PROGRESS ] status labels and shown the corresponding tasks in the road map.

Emil

Martin Andr� wrote:

Hi Pavel,

Cheers,
Martin

Pavel Tankov wrote:

Hello guys,

I'm working on packaging the sip-communicator application in an RPM. I would like to ask you

if you have established any convention as to where in the system should the application fiiles
reside. I can think of several locations, such as /usr/local/sip-communicator,
/usr/share/sip-communicator or /opt/<something>/sip-communicator.

Please, tell me if you have been using any of these (or some other). If you don't have any

preferenes I'd like to put it in /usr/local/sip-communicator, but this can easily be cnahged in
any subsequent build when the user performs an upgrade.

Thanks,
--Pavel Tankov