I'm working on setting up a project template for myself and others as
described by email in msg 1357 "GSoC/plugin project templates" (in
the archives at
Basically the idea is to have a subproject in a folder next to
sip-communicator under the same parent directory. The subproject's
build.xml will import sip-communicator's build.xml, redefining
(overloading?) necessary targets to build the subproject's new code
and modified versions of sip-communicator code when necessary. In this
way the subproject author can keep the sip-communicator code up to
date while working on his/her own code and avoid merge-hell at project
Anyway, I've finished the first step in this process, which is to
change some of the syntax in sip-communicator's build.xml to make it
import-able. The problem with the current file is that references to
source directories were not written in a way that they stay consistent
after the file is imported.
Take my own project as an example. I've got two directories:
/home/ryan/code/sip/sip-communicator --> this is sip-communicator from CVS
/home/ryan/code/sip/sc-avmailbox --> this is my own project
/home/ryan/code/sip/sip-communicator/build.xml , redefining necessary targets.
However, a reference to src/some/file location in the build.xml will
end up resolving to
/home/ryan/code/sip/sc-avmailbox/src/some/file/location instead of
/home/ryan/code/sip/sip-communicator/src/some/file/location after the
file is imported.
I've fixed all such references as per the relevant ant documentation
at http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/import.html . Scroll down to
"resolving files against the imported file"
As of right now I'm not done with the rest of the tricks necessary to
make the subproject build as intended, but I'm sending this patch now
because (1) it shouldn't change anything if run from the
sip-communicator directory, (2) submitting it now allows more time for
everyone to make sure I didn't mess something up, and (3) this way as
people add targets to build.xml they can use the correct syntax to
keep the build.xml importable.
patch.txt (44 KB)