[sip-comm-dev] MSN Development

Hello All,

I am in a point where I think I will need some help (a lot at the beginnig).

I have been following the ICQ implementation and "coding" the MSN one. When I saw things related to service regitration in the first, I created the same thing for the second, changing their names.

Now I arrived in a point where I have to implement things in MSN such as connecting and handling this connection, precense and contacts handling and so on. My problem is that I can't see how to test thing as I code them, because this software architecture is a lot different from the things I have seen, and because as I look the test classes, I couldn't manage to understand how their were developed.

If I didn't miss-understand it:
ProtocolProviderServiceMsnImpl is supposed to create one instace of the service for each passport that shall connect.

OperationSetPersistencePresenceMsnImpl shall handle the connection and contact list as well as start their approprieted listeners. Is it supposed to create the connection with the notification server as well???

It would be really helpful if anyone could give me hints on how to start testing things, so I would be able to test the things I have created so fare. What I did so fare is create the net.java.sip.communicator.slick.protocol.msn.MsnProtocolProviderSlick and the msn.provider.slick.manifest.mf files, but the first is almost raw yet and the second is just like the onde created to the ICQ implementation.

Thank you all for your help,
Best regards

Pedro Oliveira

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hello Pedro,

I have been following the ICQ implementation and "coding" the MSN one. When I saw things related to service regitration in the first, I created the same thing for the second, changing their names.

OK. That's just fine.

Now I arrived in a point where I have to implement things in MSN such as connecting and handling this connection, precense and contacts handling and so on. My problem is that I can't see how to test thing as I code them, because this software architecture is a lot different from the things I have seen, and because as I look the test classes, I couldn't manage to understand how their were developed.

I've just added a section to the step by step implementation guide on sip-communicator.org

https://www.sip-communicator.org/index.php/Documentation/PPImplementorsStepByStepGuide

I hope I am answering your questions in there (there's also a section about slicks at the end of it) but if you need more details I'll be happy to extend the doc (and I'll try to do it quickly :slight_smile: ).

If I didn't miss-understand it:
ProtocolProviderServiceMsnImpl is supposed to create one instace of the service for each passport that shall connect.

Yes exactly! And that's where you go online.

OperationSetPersistencePresenceMsnImpl shall handle the connection and contact list as well as start their approprieted listeners. Is it supposed to create the connection with the notification server as well???

What is a notification server? I have no idea how MSN works but if a notification server is the server that sends status updates concerning presence status of your contacts then yes you could connect to it in here. You could also connect to it inside the provider itself and then hand the connection to the presence operation set so that it could use it.

If this notification server is the same as the one where initially login (again I don't know anything about MSN) you should establish this connection inside the provider and use it from the presence operation set.

It would be really helpful if anyone could give me hints on how to start testing things, so I would be able to test the things I have created so fare. What I did so fare is create the net.java.sip.communicator.slick.protocol.msn.MsnProtocolProviderSlick and the msn.provider.slick.manifest.mf files, but the first is almost raw yet and the second is just like the onde created to the ICQ implementation.

Have a look at what I've written on the page that I indicated above. You could also have a look at the SIP slick since it is still quite simple and you could pretty much reuse everything that's in it for your own slick. It is not much right now but it's a start.

You are the first non-local to implement a protocol provider service all by himself so the road is going to be bumpy and steep. Don't give up and let us know every time you need some information or when you think that what's available in the developer's doc is insufficient and/or incorrect. I'll try to be as reactive as possible!

Thanks and good luck!
Emil

···

Thank you all for your help,
Best regards

Pedro Oliveira

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net