[sip-comm-dev] Little thinks about sip-com

I'm writing a notifier plugin for sip-communicator and I have meet some problems :
-First in the UI Service, it is possible to register new UI elements by not remove it. However that could be useful if the plugin is desactivated.
-There is not way to open a chat window for a specific contact and put it on first plan.
-Finaly, when opening the setting menu, if a bundle crash during initilisation the setting panel is not shown whereas just the bundle configuration panel could not be shown (for example my bundle didn't find a ressource so an exception was throws and the setting panel was not shown.)

Tom Remoleur

···

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net

Hi all,
I've continu my plug-in and I've founded some other problems :
-First when I create classicals tabbed panes, they appear with cross to close it, and if I click on it, a class cast exception is throws from the look-and-feel.
-Just after the protocol connexion, when the connected users come online, sometimes I received ContactPresenceStatusChangeEvent with a source contact's display name equals to "", but othertimes that works perfectly, perhaps a thread synchronization problem ?
-I also had a problem with the Configuration service in a very specific case :
  . A property is set in the configuration file a the application launch
  . I set this property to null to remove her
  . I reset a good value to her (i.e not a null value)
In this case, the property is not save when the application is closed, so a patch for this could be :
  Add the line <code>fileExtractedProperties.remove(propertyName);</code> at line 149 (between the <code> properties.remove(propertyName);</code> and <code>if (isSystem)</code>) of the net.java.sip.communicator.impl.configuration.ConfigurationServiceImpl file.
-My last problem is with the Configuration Form, when you remove the selected configuration form, a NullPointerException is throws, a patch could be :
Replace line <code>configFrame.showFormContent(configForm);</code> of net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.configforms.ConfigFormList at line 66 by :
<code>
  if(configForm!=null){
    configFrame.showFormContent(configForm);
  }
</code>

Next, for my plugin I have a choise to make, should I authorize users to create notifications groups, i.e set of notifications with the same comportement or should I let users manage all his notifications individualy, groups permits a more powerful notification policy but also add complexity for beginner. What is your opinion ?

Tom Remoleur

···

On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:06:08 +0200, Tom Remoleur <tom.remoleur@ulp.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

I'm writing a notifier plugin for sip-communicator and I have meet some problems :
-First in the UI Service, it is possible to register new UI elements by not remove it. However that could be useful if the plugin is desactivated.
-There is not way to open a chat window for a specific contact and put it on first plan.
-Finaly, when opening the setting menu, if a bundle crash during initilisation the setting panel is not shown whereas just the bundle configuration panel could not be shown (for example my bundle didn't find a ressource so an exception was throws and the setting panel was not shown.)

Tom Remoleur

--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

Hi Tom,

sorry for the late reply and thanks for your comments!

I'm writing a notifier plugin for sip-communicator and I have meet some
problems :
-First in the UI Service, it is possible to register new UI elements by
not remove it. However that could be useful if the plugin is desactivated.

Of course! It's really unbelievable how I could forget this one.

-There is not way to open a chat window for a specific contact and put it

on first plan.

Actually it is possible. You need to call the getChat(Contact) method of the
UIService. If the chat that you have requested doesn't exist it will be
created.

-Finaly, when opening the setting menu, if a bundle crash during

initilisation the setting panel is not shown whereas just the bundle
configuration panel could not be shown (for example my bundle didn't find
a ressource so an exception was throws and the setting panel was not
shown.)

I've tried to reproduce the problem, but I didn't succeed. Could you please
give me some more details about that, do you have an exception coming from
the Settings panel? And when you say Settings panel, do you mean the "Plugin
manager" plugin?

Yana

Tom Remoleur

···

On 5/25/07, Tom Remoleur <tom.remoleur@ulp.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

Hi Tom,

following our offline discussion I've successfully reproduced and fixed the problem that you mentioned in your last point. You could try it yourself and see if it works for your case.

Thanks for helping me resolving this.

Yana

Yana Stamcheva wrote:

···

Hi Tom,

sorry for the late reply and thanks for your comments!

On 5/25/07, *Tom Remoleur* <tom.remoleur@ulp.u-strasbg.fr > <mailto:tom.remoleur@ulp.u-strasbg.fr>> wrote:

I'm writing a notifier plugin for sip-communicator and I have meet some
    problems :
    -First in the UI Service, it is possible to register new UI elements by
    not remove it. However that could be useful if the plugin is
    desactivated.

Of course! It's really unbelievable how I could forget this one.

-There is not way to open a chat window for a specific contact and
    put it
    on first plan.

Actually it is possible. You need to call the getChat(Contact) method of the UIService. If the chat that you have requested doesn't exist it will be created.

-Finaly, when opening the setting menu, if a bundle crash during
    initilisation the setting panel is not shown whereas just the bundle
    configuration panel could not be shown (for example my bundle didn't
    find
    a ressource so an exception was throws and the setting panel was not
    shown.)

I've tried to reproduce the problem, but I didn't succeed. Could you please give me some more details about that, do you have an exception coming from the Settings panel? And when you say Settings panel, do you mean the "Plugin manager" plugin?

Yana

Tom Remoleur

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
    dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
    <mailto:dev-unsubscribe@sip-communicator.dev.java.net>
    For additional commands, e-mail:
    dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net
    <mailto:dev-help@sip-communicator.dev.java.net>

Hi Tom,

Tom Remoleur wrote:

Hi all,
I've continu my plug-in and I've founded some other problems :
-First when I create classicals tabbed panes, they appear with cross to close it, and if I click on it, a class cast exception is throws from the look-and-feel.

Apparently the SIPCommTabbedPaneUI depends on the SIPCommTabbedPane, which is unacceptable, as the look and feel should not depend on the ui implementation. I've created the following issue: https://sip-communicator.dev.java.net/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=357 and will try to fix it asap.

-Just after the protocol connexion, when the connected users come online, sometimes I received ContactPresenceStatusChangeEvent with a source contact's display name equals to "", but othertimes that works perfectly, perhaps a thread synchronization problem ?

Could you please tell me for which protocol you have this problem?

-I also had a problem with the Configuration service in a very specific case :
    . A property is set in the configuration file a the application launch
    . I set this property to null to remove her
    . I reset a good value to her (i.e not a null value)
In this case, the property is not save when the application is closed, so a patch for this could be :
    Add the line <code>fileExtractedProperties.remove(propertyName);</code> at line 149 (between the <code> properties.remove(propertyName);</code> and <code>if (isSystem)</code>) of the net.java.sip.communicator.impl.configuration.ConfigurationServiceImpl file.

Good catch! Thanks for your patch! I've already committed it.

-My last problem is with the Configuration Form, when you remove the selected configuration form, a NullPointerException is throws, a patch could be :
Replace line <code>configFrame.showFormContent(configForm);</code> of net.java.sip.communicator.impl.gui.main.configforms.ConfigFormList at line 66 by :
<code>
    if(configForm!=null){
        configFrame.showFormContent(configForm);
    }
</code>

Yes, you're right. I already fixed that up with other bugs you mentioned in your previous mail.

Next, for my plugin I have a choise to make, should I authorize users to create notifications groups, i.e set of notifications with the same comportement or should I let users manage all his notifications individualy, groups permits a more powerful notification policy but also add complexity for beginner. What is your opinion ?

My personal opinion is that we should have the simplest solution, thus I don't like so much the idea of having groups. Maybe others have also something to say. Emcho what do you think?

Yana

···

Tom Remoleur

On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:06:08 +0200, Tom Remoleur > <tom.remoleur@ulp.u-strasbg.fr> wrote:

Tom Remoleur

--Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/